Welcome to the Federal Work-Study home page for staff and employers.

This page will provide you with all the information you should need to work with financial aid as an employer of CSUN students. You will be able to find information on how the federal work study program operates and on the employment of federal work study students. You will also find information on when and how federal work-study is disbursed to students. Our office is here to assist you, so that you can assist our students.

Employer Requirements

2017-2018 Mandatory Federal Work-Study Annual Meeting:
All departments, programs, and research directors that want to hire (or may possibly want to hire) Federal Work-Study students in 2017-2018 academic year, are required to send at least one department representative to one of the following meetings (all Federal Work-Study supervisors are encouraged to attend)*:

On-Campus Department:

Tuesday, April 25, 2017 – 8:45 a.m. to 10:30 a.m.
Wednesday, April 26, 2017 – 10:15 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
Thursday, April 27, 2017 – 9:15 a.m. to 11:00 p.m.

Off-Campus Agencies:

Tuesday, May 9, 2017- 9:15 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.

On-Campus Auxiliaries/ MOUs:

Tuesday, May 9, 2017- 1:45 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.

Pre-registration is required.  Space is limited, so don’t miss out. Reserve your seat today by clicking HERE. Select the “Sign Up” button for the meeting date and time then click on the “Submit and Sign Up”.  If you are unable to use this online product, please contact us, and we will manually sign you up.

All of the meetings will be held in the Oviatt Library, in The Ferman Presentation Room. The Presentation Room is located in the west wing of the Oviatt Library at the lower level. Access to the Presentation Room is from the Library’s front main entrance. Continue through the lobby and turn left at the Learning Commons. Take the main walkway to the west wing of the building. Upon entering the west wing, turn right and go down the curved staircase to the Presentation Room.

*A Department/Program that does not fulfill the meeting requirement will not be granted a Federal Work Study allocation and will not be able to pay their students under Federal Work-Study funds.

On-Campus/How to Request A Student FWS Authorization


*At this point it is assumed that the supervisor has verified that the student has a FWS award by either completing the Student FWS Award Request Form or has a copy of the students financial aid award showing FWS as part of the students aid package.

When a FWS applicant is hired, the department Human Resources (HR) hirer requests the student’s Federal Work-Study Authorization online via myNorthridge Portal Human Resources/Manager page. From the Portal HR Manger page select the Work Study Dept. Authorizations link then follow instructions below:

  • Enter the following

1.    Aid Year – enter the year of that academic’s spring semester
2.    Department – If your department ID does not auto population enter the DEPT ID that the student is will be paid from

    • Click “Add new value”
    • Enter student’s ID number
    • Press enter or click the “Search” button
      • If you receive an error message make sure you have entered the students correct CSUN ID.  If the student ID is correct the student does not have a FWS award.
      • If the student information comes up make sure to look that there is an amount in the “Offered” section of the page. It is located on the upper left side of the page under the department ID number.

3.    Enter the required fields. 

    • Job Category – Pull down and select the best option from the options available.
    • Job Recruitment ID” – This is the number assigned to the job description your submitted on SUNlink.
    • Start Date – The student start date must be the date the FWS authorization is being requested or a future date.
    • Hourly Rate – Make sure that the student’s hourly rate is online with the hourly rate of the SUNlink FWS job description.
    • Reports to - Make sure that you have on hand the EMPL ID for the supervisor that the FWS student will report to.
    • IRCA Box – If the student showed you his/her copy of the HR Employee sign-in copy then click the IRCA Box. If you sent the student to HR to complete the sign-in process and are waiting for the student to return with proof of his/her sign-in do not click the IRCA Box. Put a note in the comment box section such as “Referred student to HR for payroll sign-in. Will check IRCA Box when student returns with proof.”
    • Click the save button on the lower left side of the page.

4.    Once the FWS authorization has been approved by the FWS Office, hire the student in Workforce Administration in the appropriate job code, and made sure that the students funding strip is in 10409.

    • Please note that the FWS Office does not send notices when a student’s FWS authorization has been approved.  It is the department’s responsibility to check the FWS authorization. The approval status is on the lower-mid section on the page and the FWS award amount will show in the Accepted section of the page on the upper left side of the page.  If the award amount is $0 in the Accepted section and the Status shows as Approved contact the FWS Office at ext. 2373 or send an email to In the email we need the name and student ID number.  You will be notified once the issue is solved.  
    • Please allow three business days for a FWS authorization to be approved.


Off-Campus Agencies

New Participation Requests

Off-campus agencies interested in participating in the Federal Work-Study (FWS) program must send the Cal State Northridge federal work-study manager, Josefina Carbajal, a letter of interest. If funds are available, Northridge offers contracts to off-campus nonprofit organizations during the month of June for the upcoming academic year, which begins in August.

If the work-study office is able to offer new FWS contracts for the next academic year, prospective off-campus FWS employers must attend the annual supervisors' meeting, which is usually scheduled during April or May. It is best, therefore, to submit your letter of interest by March. Your letter must include the following information:

  • Brief description of your nonprofit organization
  • Whether you charge the community for your services
  • Years in existence
  • How your organization is funded
  • Types of jobs available for Northridge work-study students
  • Number of work-study students you'd like to hire (work-study contracts are not offered to those looking to hire only one employee)
  • Contact information: address, phone and email
  • A copy of business profit-and-loss statement
  • Organization brochure, if available

Mail your letter of interest to:

Financial Aid & Scholarship Department
Attn: Josefina Carbajal, Federal Work-Study Manager
18111 Nordhoff Street
Northridge, CA 91330-8307

Off Campus - Continuing Employers

Continuing employers are required to attend the Off-Campus FWS Annual Meeting.  The FWS Office will send new and continuing employers the meeting date and time via the FWS listserv by the end of March for the next academic year.

Forms and Links


Federal Work-Study Budget-Tracking Sheet
Download the budget-tracking spreadsheet.

Federal Work-Study Off-Campus Budget Request Form
Continuing off-campus or auxiliary employers may use this form to request a Federal Work-Study Program budget, which is required to participate in the work-study program.

Federal Work-Study Student Employee Evaluation
Use this form to evaluate student employee performance.

New Employee Sign-in Form
Complete and give this form to your new work-study employee for the sign-in process.

Off-Campus Federal Work-Study Student Authorization Request Form
Off-campus employers may use this form to request a new work-study student authorization. Authorizations must be requested prior to the student's first day of work.

FICA Payroll Invoice Request Form
Download the Federal Insurance Contributions Act (FICA) Payroll Summary Form.

Prior Pay Period Adjustment Form - Federal Work-Study
Use this form if you missed the online payroll transmission time or need to make corrections to the prior month's pay.

Student Employee Job Data Change Form
Use this form to increase, reclassify or correct a student's pay.


Federal Work-Study Supervisor Handbook

Clerical job ad

Departmental Agreement

Drug-free campus and workplace policy

Job search

Other job ad

Public safety job ad

Salary schedule

Sample Work-Study Job Description

Technical job ad

Withdrawal policy