- Provide scholarships and promote curriculum development and the provision of innovative educational programs;
- Promote the professional growth and development of faculty, students, and professionals in the fields of risk and insurance;
- Increase communication among faculty, students, and professionals in the insurance field;
- Support the pursuit of scholarly projects and publications related to risk and insurance. The scope of these efforts will include theoretical, applied, and pedagogical inquiry related to the aforementioned areas of study;
- Serve as an educational resource for the students and faculty at California State University, Northridge.
For over 40 years, California State University, Northridge, has been providing Risk Management and Insurance education to undergraduates. CSUN’s history and reach extend deep into the Risk Management and Insurance (RMI) communities in the Southland. Dr. Joseph Launie was among the first faculty to teach RMI west of the Mississippi.
The Center for Insurance Education and Research was chartered in 1992. The Center was renamed to the Center for Financial Services and Insurance in 2008 and to the Center for Risk and Insurance in 2010.
CSUN’s current RMI program is led by Dr. David Russell, who has taught Risk Management and Insurance for nearly 20 years, the last 10 of which he has spent at CSUN. He holds a doctorate from the University of Pennsylvania’s Wharton School. Russell currently serves as Director of CSUN’s Center for Risk and Insurance. Dr. Russell was named the 2012 recipient of the CPCU’s Rie Sharp Insurance Person of the Year award for Greater Los Angeles.