Strength United works in collaboration with the Department of Children and Family Services (DCFS) to promote stability and permanency for children who have been abused. When reunion with parents is not possible and adoption is considered the best option for child stability and safety, Strength United provides services for adoptive families through the Adoption Promotion and Support Service (APSS) program. Services are offered to families in need of adoption support or at risk of adoption disruption at any stage of the adoption process. Children in long-term foster care, foster parents, and prospective adoptive parents are provided with a range of services including:
- Case management
- Adoption-focused counseling – individual, family, group
- Mentoring for parents & children
- Support groups (see below for more information)
- Adoption-specific therapy
- Linkage services including, but not limited to: mental health services, regional center services for children with disabilities, chemical dependency programs, and social services
Our APSS program follows the seven core issues of adoption model, the five protective factors model and recognizes that there are distinctive types of adoptive families — kin, foster families who adopt, and families who are recruited and matched with children. These families may have different concerns and strengths, and thus, may require different types of support and services at varying times throughout the adoptive process.
The Adoption Promotion and Support Services program is a DCFS referral only program for Service Planning Area 2 (San Fernando and Santa Clarita Valleys) in Los Angeles County. In addition, we also provide services for our post adoption families that don't have an open case with DCFS.
Foster parents, relatives, family members and couples interested in adoption services can learn more by contacting our 24-Hour Support and Referral Line:
Adoption Promotion & Support Services Parent Support Group:
- This ongoing support group is open to all parents and family members of adopted and foster children. Parents come together for mutual support and encouragement; to exchange information and learn about the impact of adoption on child development; celebrate the joys and triumphs; and find understanding and solutions to struggles encountered when caring for adopted and foster children. For more information and questions, contact (818) 787-9700.
Adoption Promotion & Support Services Teenage Girls Support Group:
- Through this group, teens will have the opportunity to:
- Make connections with teenage girls
- Learn coping and relaxation skills
- Discuss topics of self-esteem, body image, healthy relationships
- Date: Begins Tuesday, May 26th, runs weekly for 12 weeks
- Time: 4:00-5:30PM
- Fee: Free
- Location: 14651 Oxnard Street, Van Nuys, CA
- Contact: 818-787-9700, request ext. 9470