Master of Arts in Higher Education Leadership
The Master of Arts Degree in Higher Education Leadership prepares students for mid-career higher education leadership positions. Also, this degree prepares students interested in enrolling in an Ed.D. or Ph.D. Higher Education program.
Please join us for an information session with program and application detailsTuesday, 5/3/22 from 5-6pmZoom Registration Link: https://csun.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZAldeivrz0qE9MkwoR-u7tmGIgy5ubm1kRI
Overview and Outcomes
Specifically, the program is intended to facilitate learning by supporting students who are committed to:
- Facilitating the development, articulation, and stewardship of a vision of learning that is shared and supported by the higher education community.
- Advocating, nurturing, and sustaining a campus environment conducive to student learning and professional growth.
- Ensuring management of the organization, operations, and resources for a safe, efficient, and effective campus environment.
- Engaging with community members, responding to diverse community interests and needs, and mobilizing community resources.
- Modeling a personal code of ethics and developing professional leadership capacity.
- Understanding, responding to and influencing the larger political, social, economic, legal, and cultural context.
Courses Requirements and Sequence
The program requires 33 units of coursework to be completed over four semesters. The courses include:
|ELPS 600HE||Research Design in Higher Education (3)|
|ELPS 601HE||American Higher Education (3)|
|ELPS 650HE||Contemporary Administrative Leadership (3)|
|ELPS 656HE||Diversity and Student Success in Higher Education (3)|
|ELPS 663HE||Higher Education Policy and Law (3)|
|ELPS 667HE||Organization and Administration of Community College Education (3)|
|ELPS 673HE||Leadership for Managing Reform in Higher Education (3)|
|ELPS 674HE||Higher Education Operations: Finance and Human Resources in Higher Education (3)|
|ELPS 688HE||Fieldwork in Higher Education (3)|
|ELPS 690HE||Research Analysis in Higher Education (3)|
|ELPS 697HE||Directed Comprehensive Studies (3)|
The course sequence over the program of study can be seen below.
|Year 1||Year 2|
|ELPS 600HE||ELPS 688HE||ELPS 690HE||ELPS 663HE|
|ELPS 601HE||ELPS 656HE||ELPS 667HE||ELPS 674HE|
|ELPS 650HE||ELPS 673HE||ELPS 697HE|
Information Session for Program and Application Details
- Tuesday, 5/3/22 from 5-6pm. Click here to register
The Application Process
There are two phases to the application process: 1) Selection to the Program and 2) Admission to the University. All applicants will submit materials for selection; some applicants may be required to participate in an additional interview. Accepted applicants must confirm their place in the cohort through application to the University.
Phase 1: Selection
Only completed applications will be accepted. Departmental Applications will need to be submitted here: https://www.applyweb.com/cgi-bin/app?s=csun
- First apply to the department and upload all necessary documents: https://www.applyweb.com/cgi-bin/app?s=csun
Supporting Documents Include:
- Unofficial transcripts from all four-year universities or colleges
- Statement of purpose, not to exceed 2 double-spaced pages
- Critical response, not to exceed 1 double-spaced page
- Professional resume or CV, not to exceed 2 pages
- Two letters of recommendation, at least 1 letter should be from someone who can speak to your academic experiences.
Phase 2: Admission
If accepted to the program, applicants must apply to the University (online at Cal State Apply) in order to reserve their place.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I have to take the GRE?
No, there is no longer a GRE requirement for admissions to this program.
Does my undergraduate degree need to be related to education?
No, there is no requirement that your B.A. or B.S. is related to education. We accept students from all disciplines.
Do I need prior experience working in higher education?
No, prior employment or voluntary experience within higher education is not required.
Are there scholarships?
Yes, we have CSUN and Michael D. Eisner College of Education scholarships available for graduate students, more information here: https://www.csun.edu/financialaid/scholarships and here: https://www.csun.edu/eisner-education/scholarships