GUIDELINES FOR REQUESTING A PERMISSION NUMBER
Please review the following guidelines before continuing with the Permission Number Request.
This form is used to request permission numbers for DEAF STUDIES CLASSES ONLY. To request permission numbers for classes in all other majors/disciplines, please contact your appropriate Advisement Center for assistance. Click here to locate your Advisement Center: https://www.csun.edu/undergraduate-studies/academic-advisement
WHEN CAN PERMISSION NUMBER REQUESTS BE SUBMITTED?
A Permission Number Request can be submitted after BOTH of the following conditions:
- On or after your official enrollment appointment (registration date) that is posted in your portal.
- You have officially tried to register for the class in SOLAR and were blocked/received an error message. IMPORTANT: Be sure to make a note of the error message you receive at the Red X as this information will be needed on the Permission Number Request form.
For help locating your enrollment/registration appointment in the myNorthridge portal, see the How-To Guide for View Enrollment Appointment for step-by-step instructions.
DO NOT SUBMIT A PERMISSION NUMBER REQUEST FOR THE FOLLOWING REASONS:
- Reason: Class is closed. If a class is closed/full (i.e., no seats are available), you will need to wait until the Open/Nonrestrictive Registration period and add your name to the online/electronic Wait List in SOLAR. Online/electronic Wait Lists become available in SOLAR at midnight on the day that Open/Nonrestrictive Registration begins. See the Registration Calendar for the exact date.
EXCEPTION: During the Open/Nonrestrictive Registration period, if you are unable to add your name to an online/electronic Wait List, then you may submit the online/electronic Permission Number Request. Be sure to include the reason why you were blocked from adding your name to the list as indicated by the Red X.
- Reason: Registration HOLD. If you have a HOLD on your registration, please contact the Deaf Studies Advisement Office for immediate help to remove the HOLD.
STUDENTS MAY REQUEST PERMISSION NUMBERS FOR THE FOLLOWING REASONS:
- Class is restricted/requires department consent AND class prerequisites have been met.
- Prerequisite for the class has been met but it is not recognized in the system.
- Class is closed (i.e., no seats are available) AND you cannot add your name to the online/electronic Wait List in SOLAR. NOTE: Online/electronic Wait Lists are not available in SOLAR until midnight on the day that Open/Nonrestrictive Registration begins. See the Registration Calendar for the exact date.
- You have already taken the class and wish to repeat it. NOTE: Students are eligible to repeat a course if a grade of C- or lower was received. Requests to repeat a class will not be considered until two weeks before the first day of classes as students enrolling in a course for the first time have priority to enroll.
- Re-admission to a class that you have been dropped/dis-enrolled from due to non-payment or other reasons.
HOW DO STUDENTS RECEIVE PERMISSION NUMBERS:
If you are approved to receive a permission number to add a class, it will be emailed to you at your CSUN email address. NOTE: Email is considered the primary mode of communication between the university and you! It’s important that you check your CSUN email regularly.
WHEN TO USE A PERMISSION NUMBER:
If you are issued a permission number to add a class, please register for the class ASAP. The permission number must be used no later than the third Friday of instruction. After this time, the permission number will be deactivated/invalid. For specific dates, see the Registration Calendar.
WHAT TO DO IF YOU DO NOT RECEIVE A PERMISSION NUMBER OR ARE NOT ADDED TO A CLASS FROM THE ONLINE WAIT LIST FOR A CLASS YOU WANT:
If you submitted a Permission Number Request or added your name to an online/electronic Wait List and did not get into the class, plan to go to the desired class on the first day of instruction. The instructor will pass around an Add List. Be sure to add your name to this list! Continue to attend the class until you receive final notification from the department about your enrollment status.
* * * NOT SURE WHAT TO DO * * *
If you should have any questions about class registration, have any special circumstances that were not addressed in the above guidelines, and/or are unsure about what you need to do, please contact the Deaf Studies Advisement Office for assistance.
Department of Deaf Studies
Education Building, Room 1105F