A Single Subject Teaching Credential authorizes the holder to teach the specific subject(s) named on the credential in departmentalized classes such as those in most middle schools and high schools. However, a teacher authorized for single subject instruction may be assigned to teach any subject in his or her authorized fields at any grade level: preschool, grades K–12, or in classes organized primarily for adults. To see which Single Subject programs are offered at CSUN click here.
Student Teaching Application Deadline is December 15, 2017. Please read the information regarding the student teaching process, and eligibility requirements.
- Review Information Session: All applicants are highly encouraged to view an online Information Session prior to submitting an application. The Information Session can be found on our website.
- Review Pathway Options: Traditional, Accelerated Collaborative Teacher (ACT), Freshman Year Integrated (FYI), Junior Year Integrated (JYI), Internship
- Application Options: Regular Admission, Exceptional Admission (Fall only), Intent to Apply (ITA)
- Review Application Checklist (below): Start early, and be prepared to scan and upload documents.
Please note: Not all application checklist items will apply to your application option.
|Regular Admission (Traditional, JYI/FYI, ACT)|
November 1st (If student teaching)
July 1st (If student teaching)
August 8th (Regular deadline)
|Exceptional Admission||Not Available||August 8th|
|Intent to Apply (ITA)||January 10th||August 8th|
Credential Application Requirements
- University Application - Complete the online application at Cal State Apply. There is a $55 application fee. We have recently upgraded our online university application to the Cal State Apply system. This upgrade is still in progress and so some of our academic programs may not be immediately visible. If you are having difficulty with Cal State Apply, you can seek help via:
- The Application Help Center, including Live Chat Support
- The application support line at 857-304-2087 or CalStateApply@liaisoncas.com
- The Frequently Asked Questions Page
- Credential Applicant Guide to the Cal State Apply Application
This application is not required if currently enrolled as a CSUN graduate student or if applying under ITEP, FYI/JYI option.
- Online Program Application - Submit online along with nonrefundable $50.00 application processing fee (an additional $1.38 service fee will be assessed at checkout).
- Transcripts - You must have a cumulative GPA of 2.67 or a 2.75 GPA in your last 60 units to be admitted (FYI/JYI only requires 2.67 cumulative GPA) and be in good academic standing. Official transcripts from each institution you have attended (including community colleges) must be submitted in person or by mail to Admissions and Records and the Credential Office at:
Admissions & Records
CSUN - Office of Admissions and Records
18111 Nordhoff Street
Northridge, CA 91330-8207
CSUN - Credential Office EA 103
18111 Nordhoff Street
Northridge, CA 91330-8265
IMPORTANT! You should request all transcripts sent directly to your home address, once you have gathered all transcripts you may submit them to both offices separately.
If currently a CSUN student or a CSUN graduate, transcripts do not need to be submitted unless you have completed post baccalaureate coursework at another institution.
Please note: If you are in the process of completing a bachelor’s degree at a school other than CSUN you will be required to provide one additional official transcript after your degree has been awarded. You are not considered admissible to the Credential program until an official transcript with your posted bachelor's degree has been received. Your bachelor's degree must have been awarded by a regionally accredited institution of higher education.
Foreign transcripts (if applicable) - Applicants with international transcripts must provide a copy of an official evaluation of that coursework by an approved agency, for a list of approved agencies visit http://www.ctc.ca.gov/credentials/leaflets/cl635.pdf
- Basic Skills Requirement - Detailed information regarding options for meeting this requirement can be found here. For CBEST test dates, online registration and more visit www.ctcexams.nesinc.com. JYI/FYI applicants need only to have attempted all sections of CBEST.Note: Official scores must be sent directly from Evaluation Systems to CSUN. If you did not request the official scores to be sent to CSUN you will need to upload a copy to the online credential program application.
- Subject Matter Competency - Single Subject candidates may meet this requirement by taking the appropriate California Subject Examinations for Teachers (CSET) or through a subject matter waiver program (from your undergraduate major). Not required for JYI/FYI pathway option. For detailed information about these options click here. For CSET test dates, online registration and more visit www.cset.nesinc.com.Note: Official passing scores must be sent directly from Evaluation Systems to CSUN. If you did not request the official scores to be sent to CSUN you will need to upload a copy to the online credential program application.
- Fingerprint Clearance - Application will not be processed without verification of current fingerprint clearance from the Commission on Teacher Credentialing. Instructions on completing this process can be found here.
- Negative Tuberculosis Clearance - you will need to upload a copy of verification of negative TB test or a letter from your physician (regarding negative chest x-ray) taken within the last two years.
- Early Field Experience: You will need to upload verification of completion of 45 hours of field experience. Instructions and form can be found here
- Statement of Objectives - Upload a 1-2 page essay addressing the following questions:
Why do you wish to become a teacher?
What will you contribute to the profession?
What do you plan to achieve as a teacher?
- Letters of Recommendations - You must upload two recommendations using the specific form found here; they must be uploaded with your program application. Letters from friends or family members are not acceptable.
- Program Interview - All program applicants are required to participate in an interview with a College of Education faculty member. You will be notified to schedule this interview after you have submitted your application packet.
Additional application requirements apply to the ACT and Intern pathways. The supplemental application to the ACT pathway can be found at http://www.csun.edu/education/act/ Additional requirements needed for the Intern Pathway can be found at http://www.csun.edu/eisner-education/credential-office/intern-credential.
IMPORTANT! All required documents, with the exception of transcripts, must be uploaded to the online application. Hard copies should not be mailed, faxed or emailed.
Reapplication Process: Please read the following information regarding the reapplication process if you were previously admitted, denied or enrolled in a Credential Program at CSUN.
Student Teaching Process: Please read the information regarding the student teaching process, including deadlines and eligibility requirements.