This program leads to completion of a Induction Program for those with a Preliminary Multiple or Single Subject credential. The Induction Program must be completed within five years of the issuance date of preliminary teaching credential.
The General Education Induction Credential Program is designed for individuals who have, or will have, a full-time teaching position in a school/school district. Individuals who are not currently employed as a K-12 teacher may still be accepted into the program providing an appropriate educational setting can be secured.
Purpose of the Program
The purpose of the Induction Program is to provide a mechanism for the successful induction of a new educator. This requires collaboration and shared responsibility among the candidate, induction coordinator, and support provider. In accordance with the Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC), the Induction Program includes collaboration with the teacher’s employer, multiple opportunities for support and professional development, an Individualized Induction Plan (IIP), and advanced coursework to address the teacher’s individual needs.
The Induction Program requires that the induction component be completed in a school setting. Each candidate, as part of admission to the Induction Program, must submit an Verification of Employment or Field Educational Setting form.
IMPORTANT! This Induction Program is not based on the new program standards which go into effect September 1,2017. This will be the last time we offer the Induction Program in the current format. Please note that completing the current program will lead to a clear credential.
Visit our Frequently Asked Questions page for additional information
Please read before beginning the application process. If you have any additional requirements to meet in addition to completing an Induction program listed on your document do not submit an application without speaking first to a Credential Advisor. If your credential has expired or will be expiring, you will need to request an extension directly to the CTC. Please note that the process for gaining an extension can be lengthy. Please do not submit an application if your credential is expired or will be expiring. Your preliminary credential must be valid for admission and through the duration of the program.
You may be required to submit two online applications. For the Credential Program application we encourage you to start early and be prepared to scan and upload documents.
Credential Program Application
1. Online Program Application - Submit online along with nonrefundable $50.00 application processing fee (an additional $1.38 service fee will be assessed at checkout).
2. Transcripts - Official transcripts from each institution you have attended (including community colleges) must be submitted in person or by mail to the Credential Office at:
IMPORTANT! Do not mail in transcripts until you have submitted your online application. You should request all transcripts sent directly to your home address, once you have gathered all transcripts you may submit them.
3. Credential Document- Provide a copy of a valid California Preliminary Teaching Credential (if credential document has expired do not submit an application). Please note: Induction must be the only requirement listed to clear the credential.
4. Verification of Employment or Fieldwork Educational Setting
- If currently employed full time as a teacher in a public school setting, upload a Verification of Employment Form completed by your employing district.
- If currently employed as a substitute teacher, a private school teacher or not employed a Fieldwork Program Requirement Form will need to be submitted with your application.
Program Requirements and Information
Required Program Courses (12 units)
Note: EED 502 is a pre-requisite for SED 505; electives are pre- or co-requisites for SED 505
- GPA and Retention - Students must maintain an overall GPA of 2.75 since admission and 3.0 with no grades lower than “C” in the professional program coursework.
- Course Substitutions - Only courses taken after issuance of the Preliminary Teaching Credential can be used for course substitution. Courses more than 7 years old cannot be used for course substitution. A total of 6 units may be substituted for course electives; core courses may not be substituted.
Contact Information and Advisement
All students will receive advisement from an Induction Program Coordinator once formally admitted.
If you require the Verification of Fieldwork Educational Setting form, you will need to contact the Induction Coordinator.
Program Completion Process
Information regarding how to apply for the clear credential document can be found on our website