Welcome to SAPESS!
Sponsored by the Elementary Education Department
at California State University, Northridge
Program dates: June 22, 2015 – July 24, 2015
For incoming K-5 grades
Program Fee: $690 (March 2, 2015 – June 1, 2015)
$710 (June 2, 2015 - June 19, 2015 if space available)
(A $75 nonrefundable deposit is needed to register.)
Electives: $375 for the 5-week program
($25 lab fee for Robotics)
What is SAPESS?
At SAPESS, our intention is to focus on your child's development and growth through exciting, hands-on academic and enrichment activities. Using collaborative planning, our teachers cultivate a safe, consistent environment for students to explore knowledge, discover talents and nurture new friendships. SAPESS assures small class sizes in order to foster the social-emotional growth of students as well as to promote the academic success of your child. One way SAPESS sustains a safe campus environment is by assigning an experienced Teaching Assistant (TA) to each group of students. The TAs not only guide students from class to class and supervise them during breaks, but they become familiar with the strengths and uniqueness of each child.
The 2014 SAPESS Program was a huge success. We maintained our instructional goals of bringing in a rich variety of experiences to make learning challenging, fulfilling and fun. All of the students were treated to a play, "Beauty and the Beast" that was performed by the Teenage Drama Workshop, at the Nordhoff Hall Theater. For 2015, we are planning another special day at the theater for a performance of "The Little Mermaid".
In 2015, we will continue to build on all of the successes that we experienced last year. Students in grades 1-5 will attend 4 different periods each day: Mathematics, Science, Language Arts, and Arts & Crafts. Kindergarten will be a self-contained classroom located in the Associated Students Children’s Center.
All of our classes will be planned collaboratively by our teachers to motivate and challenge students. Our science classes will be filled with lots of hands-on interactive experiences. Students will be able to demonstrate their creativity in a multitude of arts activities and projects. Our mathematics classes will incorporate activities and projects that require students to apply math concepts and critical thinking skills. Language Arts will provide opportunities for students to read and write about topics that support a different theme each week.
- My daughter enjoyed coming to the summer school program. I really like the format of having the 4 academic subjects offered during the summer school program.
- He loved all his teachers and TA. He said they make it as fun as possible. Every single morning he was excited to go. He said he loved this program more than any school or summer program he's ever been in.
- The TA's were very attentive and thoughtful towards my daughter's wellbeing.
- There is no stress at all for kids.
- I am very pleased that they are exposed to science and the arts, which they don't get much during the regular school year.
- The themes are great, learning about space and the hands-on is excellent. Both my children love their teachers and TAs. They have nothing, but wonderful comments about them.
- My children always came home with wonderful discussions on what they did in their classes. Each week they were excited about the themes.
- The teachers provide a truly meaningful and fun program for the kids – that makes all the difference for learning.
- He enjoyed all of his teachers. Everyday he had positive accounts about all the activities done that day. To experience the program at CSUN encouraged my son to look forward to attending a university in his future.
- Great, my child's brain didn't go into sleep mode over the summer.