Welcome to SAPESS!
Sponsored by the Elementary Education Department
at California State University, Northridge
Program dates: June 19, 2017 - July 21, 2017
For incoming K-5 grades
Early-Bird Fee - TBA
After April 30th - TBA
What is SAPESS?
At SAPESS, our intention is to focus on your child's development and growth through exciting, hands-on academic and enrichment activities. Using collaborative planning, our teachers cultivate a safe, consistent environment for students to explore knowledge, discover talents and nurture new friendships. SAPESS assures small class sizes in order to foster the social-emotional growth of students as well as to promote the academic success of your child. One way SAPESS sustains a safe campus environment is by assigning an experienced Teaching Assistant (TA) to each group of students. The TAs not only guide students from class to class and supervise them during breaks, but they become familiar with the strengths and uniqueness of each child.
The 2016 SAPESS Program was a huge success. We maintained our instructional goals of bringing in a rich variety of experiences to make learning challenging, fulfilling and fun. All of the students were treated to a play, "Shrek, The Musical" that was performed by the Teenage Drama Workshop, at the Nordhoff Hall Theater.
In 2017, we will continue to build on all of the successes that we experienced last year. Students in grades 1-5 will attend 4 different periods each day: Mathematics, Science, Language Arts, and Arts & Crafts. Kindergarten will be a self-contained classroom located in the Associated Students Children’s Center.
All of our classes will be planned collaboratively by our teachers to motivate and challenge students. Our science classes will be filled with lots of hands-on interactive experiences. Students will be able to demonstrate their creativity in a multitude of arts activities and projects. Our mathematics classes will incorporate activities and projects that require students to apply math concepts and critical thinking skills. Language Arts will provide opportunities for students to read and write about topics that support a different theme each week.
- My boys loved coming to class. They did not want to miss a day. I believe that they were happy because they were using the skills they acquired in Kindergarten to learn about the world, and it did not feel like ‘rote’ exercises or memorization activities.
- My daughter loves learning and she really liked and enjoyed every single one of her teachers. She really liked everyone’s sense of humor
- He seemed to enjoy all his teachers. I think the curriculum and teachers presented kept him engaged throughout the four classes
- The teachers have been so enthusiastic, positive and encouraging. We’ve been so pleased with the wonderful experience we’ve had. It set the stage for a good start to our new school year.
- Every teacher was fun and made learning fun.
- Can’t say enough good things. It’s a wonderful experience.
- Everything was outstanding like it is every year. We continue to be impressed with the quality of the educations and the professionalism of the teachers and staff.
- Teachers always gave very positive feedback. Projects and lessons seemed very creative and captivating for my child.
- It’s a great program. I heard about if from another parent and she raved about it so I signed up. We loved it.
- …very pleased and elated to have my daughter so interested in learning.
- My child felt very safe and secure. She (TA) was always very friendly and her smile made us feel comfortable leaving our child.
- TA was very kind, helpful and always available.
- TA’s were caring, helpful, and encouraging.
- My interactions with her (TA) were always informative and pleasant.
- The TA was encouraging and made efforts to ensure kids were comfortable.