Preliminary Administrative Services Credential
IMPORTANT! Coursework for the Master’s Degree and Preliminary Services (Tier I) Credential is identical; however, the degree and the credential are awarded by two separate and distinct agencies, California State University and the State Credentials Office respectively. Therefore, a candidate who is pursuing both the Master’s Degree and Preliminary Services Credential must apply to each agency separately, and those applications should be submitted concurrently.
To download a Preliminary Administrative Services Credential application, log in to the Credential Office web site at or contact the Credential Office at (818) 677-2586 for assistance.
Tier I Credential
- ELPS 600 Research in Education
- ELPS 650 Contemporary Administrative Leadership
- ELPS 663 Legal Aspects of Educational Administration
- ELPS 664 Business and Financial Aspects of Educational Administration
- ELPS 672 Management of Human Resources
- ELPS 676 School Community Relations
- ELPS 681 Organization and Administration of Elementary, Secondary, and
- ELPS 682 Supervision of Curriculum and Instruction
- ELPS 675 Decision Making Simulation in Educational Administration
- ELPS 688 Fieldwork (Must be taken with no more than 6 units remaining)
- ELPS 697 Comprehensive Exam
- Five years of professional educational experience with a clear teaching or services credential by the completion of this program.
- Possession of a Bachelor’s Degree.
- Possession of a valid California credential.
- Undergraduate grade point average (GPA) of 3.0, or Graduate Record Examination (GRE)/Miller Analogies Test (MAT), with acceptable score.
- Passing score on California Basic Educational Skills Test (CBEST).
- Two letters of recommendation from practicing school administrators.
- All students must take the Comprehensive Examination.
- An average grade of “B” or better must be maintained throughout the program. No grade lower than a “C” will be accepted