Purpose - Preparing Asian Bilingual Teachers Project
To prepare Asian Bilingual teachers (i.e., Chinese/Mandarin, Filipino/Tagalog, Hmong, Korean, and Vietnamese) for state certification and MA students in Multicultural and Multilingual Education for the next five years.
- Two types of students will be recruited and prepared for Asian Bilingual Authorization: Both pre-credential students and post-credential students.
- Asian students in both graduate and undergraduate teacher education programs will be served.
The project goals are to
- Prepare Asian Bilingual teachers (i.e., Chinese/Mandarin, Filipino/Tagalog, Hmong, Korean, and Vietnamese) for State Certification in multiple and single subject credential programs (i.e., Math, Science, and English).
- Prepare Asian teachers for an M.A. in Multicultural and Multilingual Education.
- Enhance the use of instructional technology (computer skills) of project participants.
- Improve and expand the University's instructional programs.
- Educate all project students (credential and Master's Degree students) in conducting multicultural education.
- Provide regular and timely academic advisement and support to all project students in teaching credential programs and Master's Degree programs.
- Test Preparation Workshops are offered for the California Basic Educational Skills Test for Teachers (CBEST), California Subject Matter Examination for Teachers (CSET), and Reading Instruction Competency Assessment (RICA).
- Classes are offered at various locations and times to accommodate working students.
- Math and English tutors provide assistance to project students to pass CBEST and CSET
- Workshops are also offered to prepare candidates for RICA.
- Enrichment workshops on the use of instructional technology and multicultural education are offered.
- Financial support is provided to project students to alleviate some of their financial barriers.