Our morning keynote speaker is Rory Douglas. Mr. Douglas is a Financial Educator with World System Builders (WSB). He is also an Author and Motivational Speaker. He is on a National Campaign to spread Financial Literacy with a mission of 1 Million Educated Families by the year 2020.
The Black Youth Guidance Forum (BYGF) provides participants with a unique opportunity to engage in educationally purposeful activities which include featured speakers, four instructional tracks (PreK-5 graders, 6-12 graders, Parent Advocacy, and Leadership), and the Nonprofit Resource & Advocacy fair.
Who Should Attend?
Anyone who is interested in the health, well-being, and educational attainment of African American students and other students of color in PreK-12 grades, including but not limited to:
- High School Administrators
- College Administrators
- Support Staff
- All Students, including elementary, middle, high school, and post-secondary
- Nonprofit Organizations in Los Angeles County
- Business Community
- Health Advocates
- Religious Institutions
About the Forum
The Black Youth Guidance Forum (BYGF) is a day-long leadership program for CSUN students in the Africana Studies Urban Studies option, credential candidates, and Liberal Studies majors. We will also include African American youth and other youth of color, school stakeholders (e.g. parents, teachers, counselors, administrators, and staff), and nonprofit organizations in Los Angeles County.
The BYGF serves:
- to promote racial uplift, health & wellness, college preparation, and leadership development to our target population
- to provide assistance and training in culturally relevant practices for preparatory students at CSUN and school stakeholders
- to establish a college collaboratory (community partnerships) with nonprofit organizations for understanding and developing clear pathways for African American youth and other youth of color to enter post-secondary education
The BYGF provides participants with a unique opportunity to participate in educationally purposeful activities which include featured speakers, four instructional tracks (PreK-5 graders, 6-12 graders, Parent Advocacy, and Leadership), and the Nonprofit Resource & Advocacy fair.
The BYGF has been designed to accomplish the same educational mission as the DuBois-Hamer Institute for Academic Achievement at California State University, Northridge, which is to ppromote student success through community and campus partnerships. We cultivate active and collaborative partnerships with faculty, staff and students across the CSUN campus community; work with local groups and organizations in Los Angeles County; and provide service to cultural and educational institutions in the community. Please visit the DuBois-Hamer Institute for Academic Achievement website.
For more information, contact Dr. Cedric Hackett, Director, DuBois Hamer Institute for Academic Achievement at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 818-677-3311.
Communication services (sign language interpreters, note takers) are available for this event. Requests for services must be submitted at least five (5) working days in advance. Please contact Dr. Cedric Hackett, at or call (818) 677-3311.
On campus Parking Permit Purchase (Daily fee is $8.00). Parking on campus is open seven days a week, 24 hours-a-day, and is enforced. Parking permits are required at all times in all areas of campus. Parking permits must be properly displayed to avoid parking citations. To be valid, the parking permit must be affixed to the vehicle front inside windshield, lower corner, passenger side, while parked at CSUN.
- All persons using CSUN parking facilities must park in a marked space within the designated parking area, and must display a valid permit appropriate for the space the vehicle is occupying.Metered parking is located on Lindley Avenue and on Darby Avenue. Daily permits can be purchased at the information booths, or at one of the yellow dispensers in lots B1, B6, E6 and G4 and in parking structures B3, B5, G3 and G9. See the CSUN map for locations.
- All valid dates are printed on the face of the permits.