- Making an Appointment
- Getting Started and Registering for Services
- Student Records and Confidentiality
- Learning Support Services & Accommodations
- Cal State Northridge Resources
- Off Campus Resources
- Career Services
- Forms & Procedures
- (TAP) Thriving and
- Delta Alpha Pi Honor Society
- SAAS - Information
Getting Started and Registering for Services
Meeting with a staff member in the Disability Resources and Educational Services (DRES) as soon as you are admitted to California State University, Northridge is a great way to get a jump start on academic success. You will be immediately eligible for support services when you have registered with the office, including transition support and accommodations for placement exams.
To receive support services you must be an admitted student and take the following steps:
You should turn in your disability documentation prior to scheduling an appointment. To provide effective and reasonable accommodations, documentation of a disability may be required. The documentation should contain a specific diagnosis, indicating whether the disability is temporary or permanent, and a concise description of the functional limitations imposed by your disability. Forms for both physical and mental health disabilities can be found here. Students with a learning disability may follow the guidelines for learning disabilities documentation.
Documentation can be brought to Bayramian Hall (BH) 110, delivered by mail, fax or email. Students without documentation should discuss their specific situation with a DRES counselor.
Note: The following should be included: Cal State Northridge student ID number and current contact phone number.
- Make an intake appointment by calling DRES at (818) 677-2684 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Once your documentation has been screened for completeness, you will be contacted to set up an intake appointment that will last approximately 1 hour.
- Meet with an intake counselor who will assist you in determining what accommodations you are eligible to receive based upon your disability related functional limitations and your academic plan. The counselor will also suggest support services that you might find beneficial. You will be asked to share information about how your disability affects your ability to access the classroom, class materials and campus services and to describe the accommodations and services you have used in the past. It is important that you have an opportunity to express a preference in accommodations, since your preferences will be considered when a counselor is approving your accommodations. If for some reason, you disagree with the approved accommodations you may request reconsideration through the accommodation appeal process.
- Each Semester, you will log into the System Access And Accommodation System (SAAS) to request academic and alternative testing accommodations for each of the classes in which you wish to use your approved accommodations. Each semester, you will also need to request approved support services using the SAAS.
- Alternative Testing Accommodations are accommodations that will generally be used when testing in the classroom or at Alternative Testing at the DRES office.
- Academic Accommodations are accommodations that are generally used in the classroom or to access course materials.
- Support Services are services provided by DRES such as WAIV program, van transportation, and the Thriving and Achieving Program (TAP). Support services are generally provided as academic enhancements.
- Develop a Journey to Success plan for your academic and personal development at Cal State Northridge.