• DRES Register for Services

Register for Services

Get a jump-start on academic success by meeting with a Disability Resources and Educational Services (DRES) staff member as soon as you are admitted to CSUN. Once you register with our office, you will immediately become eligible for services, which may include, transition support and placement exam accommodations.

Note: If you are seeking accommodations for the Entry Level Math (ELM) and/or the English Placement Test (EPT) standardized placement exams, please register with DRES as soon as possible. If you prefer to have Braille, large-print, or audio edition accommodations, DRES needs at least 14 days prior to the requested exam date to ensure all accommodations are in place for your exams.

For more information regarding the ELM/EPT placement exams, please visit the University Testing and Educational Testing Service (ETS) websites.

To receive support services, you must be an admitted student and take the following steps.

Disability documentation

Turn in your physical disability documentation or mental health disability documentation prior to scheduling an appointment. Disability documentation should contain a specific diagnosis indicating whether the disability is temporary or permanent and concise description of the functional limitations imposed by your disability. All documentation should be provided in English and be legible. If the original documentation is in another language, the student will need to provide a translated copy. Students with a learning disability may follow the Guidelines for the Assessment and Verification of Students with Learning Disabilities. Documentation may be submitted in person to Bayramian Hall 110 or mailed to: 

Disability Resources and Educational Services
California State University, Northridge
18111 Nordhoff St. 
Bayramian Hall 110
Northridge, CA, 91330-8264

Alternatively, you may fax documentation to (818) 677-4932 or email it to dres@csun.edu. Include your CSUN student ID number and current telephone number on any documentation. Students without documentation should discuss their specific situation with a DRES counselor. 

Intake appointment

Make an intake appointment by calling DRES at (818) 677-2684 or emailing dres@csun.edu. Once your documentation has been screened, you will be contacted to set up an intake appointment that will last approximately one hour.

Meet with an intake counselor

Your intake counselor will help determine which accommodations you're eligible to receive based on your disability-related functional limitations and academic plan. The counselor will also suggest support services that you might find beneficial. You will be asked to share information about how your disability affects your ability to access the classroom, class materials and campus services. You will then be asked to describe the accommodations and services you have used in the past. It is important that you have an opportunity to express a preference in accommodations since your preferences will be considered when a counselor is approving your accommodations. If you disagree with the approved accommodations, you may request reconsideration through the accommodation appeal process.

Student Access and Accommodation System (SAAS)

Log in to the Student Access and Accommodation System (SAAS) each semester. If you wish to use approved accommodations, you must request academic or alternative testing accommodations for each individual course. You will also need to request approved support services through SAAS every semester. To learn more about SAAS, visit the SAAS information page.

Alternative testing accommodations will generally be used when testing in the classroom or DRES office. Academic accommodations are generally used in the classroom or to access course materials. Support services are provided by DRES and include the Workability IV program, van transportation and the Thriving and Achieving Program (TAP). Support services are generally provided as academic enhancements.

Develop a journey to success plan

Ultimate success for your academic and personal development at CSUN begins with a plan. Check out the Student Services page for more information on the journey to success plan.