Anne Eipe, University Counseling Services
Join University Counseling Services for Q.P.R., a 2 hour training designed to help you help someone who may be considering suicide. This training is facilitated by University Counseling Services. QPR stands for Question, Persuade, and Refer.
Faculty and staff are interacting with more students expressing symptoms of mental health concerns (e.g., anxiety, stress, depression, self-harm, and even suicidal thoughts, etc.). This training helps prepare someone who is in the position to recognize someone who may be in crisis. The training is focused on signs of distress and crises, and "provides innovative, practical and proven suicide prevention training" and includes:
- Raising awareness about suicide
- Background information about suicide, with a focus on the college student population
- Dispelling myths and misconceptions
- Teaching 3 skills that can help save a life: Question, Persuade, Refer
University Counseling Services has received extremely positive feedback from the faculty and staff on campus who have participated in this training. They report feeling more knowledgeable and better equipped to serve in a gatekeeping role -- how to recognize a student in distress, how to talk with them about their concerns, how to offer hope, and how to refer that student to get the help they may need.
Faculty & Staff - Register for this session in Three Easy Steps:
- Visit CSUN's Employee Learning & Training site via the myNorthridge Portal: https://ds.calstate.edu/?svc=skillsoft&org=csun;
- Select the "Instructor Led Training Sessions" link under Upcoming Events, and scroll until you find the name and date of the program;
- Select "Actions," and select "Enroll in this Session."
Shortly after you successfully enroll, you’ll receive an email notification. If you click on the calendar icon in the message, your outlook calendar will open allowing you to place the item as an appointment on your calendar.
If you require an accommodation to attend this program, please contact the Human Resources at x5168 at least 7 business days in advance of the program.
If you are interested in attending this session but unable to because of a conflict in when it is being offered; or have a topic for a suggested workshop or training, please let us know by accessing and completing this FORM.
Return to CSUN's Professional & Personal Development Training Calendar at: http://www.csun.edu/development/training.