Current Students

  • Diverse students share a smile.

What Do You Want to Change?

Select the late schedule change transaction(s) you want to complete from the list below. Before changing your schedule, note the precautions for each action. Then review the required procedures based on the timing of your late change request at General Timeline and Procedures and the required Late Schedule Change Form(s).

Late Register

Late Registration is defined as adding classes when not currently enrolled in any units. This includes adding units after being disenrolled from all classes for missing a deadline in the fee payment schedule.

  • Check your student financial account balance and fee payment deadlines in myNorthridge Portal after adding classes.
  • A $25.00 processing fee is charged for Late Registration, beginning with the first weekday of classes.
  • See also “Add a Class” just below.

Helpful guides:

Add a Class

Adding classes can result in increased tuition fees and nonresident tuition if applicable.

  • Permission numbers are required to add all classes in Weeks 2-4 of the fall and spring semesters.
  • Be mindful of the maximum unit load policy.
  • Check your student financial account balance and fee payment deadlines in myNorthridge Portal each time you adjust your schedule.
  • Pay before the fee payment schedule deadline to avoid being dis-enrolled!

Helpful guides:

Drop (or Swap) a Class

Dropping is also called withdrawing.


  • Reducing the number of enrolled units may affect your eligibility for campus housing, financial aid, international student status and more.
    • Financial aid students who reduce the number of units or completely withdraw (including medical withdrawal) may be subject to REPAYMENT.
    • In addition, reducing units or withdrawing from courses may impact Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP).

    Before dropping, consult the appropriate offices listed at Impact of Academic Schedule Changes for guidance.
  • Nonattendance does not constitute a withdrawal, nor does stopping payment on a check for tuition and other fees constitute a request for a refund.
  • Drop the classes you no longer want. Failure to follow formal withdrawal procedures may result in the assignment of failing grades, an obligation to pay tuition and other fees, and the need to apply for readmission to the university (see Withdrawal Policies).

Please see “Complete Withdrawal” below for additional considerations.

Depending on the situation, you might be eligible for a refund minus a $10.00 administrative fee. See Refund Information.

Helpful guide: Drop or Swap a Class

Swap Classes

Swapping is adding and dropping at the same time. You exchange a class in which you are currently enrolled for a new one in the same transaction.

  • Swapping has an advantage over dropping: If the swap doesn’t work, you won’t risk losing the enrolled class.
  • To swap classes of equal unit value, request both changes on the same form to avoid additional fees, including nonresident tuition if applicable.

Helpful guide: Drop or Swap a Class

Change the Basis of Grading

If the course allows it, you can change from a letter grade to Credit/No Credit (CR/NC) or vice versa.

  • Earning a grade of CR/NC is not permitted for some courses.
  • If you plan to attend a graduate, medical, pharmacy, or similar professional school, CR grades might not be accepted. Be sure you understand the undergraduate course work letter grade requirements for the graduate programs you are interested in.

Before changing to the CR/NC grading basis, review the Credit/No Credit Grading Policy and consult your academic advisor.

Complete Withdrawal

Withdrawals after the fourth week of fall and spring classes are approved only for serious and compelling reasons.

  • Withdrawal procedures are governed by university withdrawal policies.
  • Withdrawals can be partial (i.e., dropping one or more, but not all, classes), but they are usually complete withdrawals (i.e., dropping all classes for the term).

Please note:

  • Review the Precautions for Reducing Units and other considerations under “Drop (or Swap) a Class” above.
  • After Week 4 (i.e., the 20th day of fall or spring instruction), a grade of “W” (authorized withdrawal) will be assigned for courses approved for withdrawal.
  • Depending on the situation, you might be eligible for a refund minus $10.00. See Refund Information.

Withdrawal requests are not considered for:

  • Courses associated with disciplinary action by the Office of Student Affairs
  • Students who have taken final exams
  • Retroactive withdrawals beyond 1 year of the conclusion of the semester for which the withdrawal is requested.

Before withdrawing, please review General Timeline and Procedures.

Medical Withdrawal

A medical withdrawal usually constitutes complete withdrawal from the university for the academic period in question. Medical withdrawals may be granted solely for established medical purposes and will be considered on a case-by-case basis.

Learn more about medical withdrawals at Guidelines for All Students.


The medical withdrawal forms you’ll need to use depend on the timing of your request:

  • When classes begin, throughout the term and retroactively, complete the “Medical Withdrawal: Student Consent and Health Care Provider Guidelines” form and provide a letter from your health care provider.
  • During late registration/schedule adjustment, Weeks 1-4 of the fall and spring classes, you may drop classes online without approval. To have a medical withdrawal notated on your student record during Weeks 1-4, you’ll need to complete the appropriate undergraduate or graduate student form.
  • After Week 4 of fall or spring classes, when online registration has ended, you’ll also need to file the appropriate Late Schedule Change Form(s).

Partial and complete medical withdrawals should be requested directly from the Offices of Undergraduate Studies or Graduate Studies. Please see instructions on the form(s).


So that the medical withdrawal can be recorded, do not drop courses online during the online self-service registration period.

If you are seeking a complete or partial medical withdrawal for yourself, or to care for a family member, please follow the steps at General Timeline and Procedures.