Faculty and Staff

Welcome, faculty and staff. We understand that as a faculty or staff member you are a key contributor to student success. We're glad you're interested in learning about the services at University Counseling Services (UCS), and we look forward to interacting with you.

Our professional staff are available as consultants to collaborate with you in your roles as professors, administrators, advisors and counselors. Consultation involves a collegial relationship in which the consultant deals exclusively with your work-related or student-related issues. Services are free and available to any academic department or administrative unit, as well as any staff and individual faculty members.

On this page, you’ll find more information about the types of consultations we offer faculty and staff. The manual for Assisting Students in Distress is a comprehensive guide that covers a range of topics for helping your students. 

Dealing with Student Psychological Concerns

Your role as a resource and helper

As a resource and a helper to students, your role is defined by your personality, values and preferences, as well as your current resources such as demands in your position, time and level of stress.

We encourage faculty and staff to find a balance between your care for students and your own self-care. At University Counseling Services (UCS), we are here to help you define that balance and provide you with resources and guidance 

Recognizing students in distress

In your role as faculty or staff, you are often in a unique position to help students because you may be one of the first to notice serious changes. Students may even reveal their distress to you.

If you feel you have a student who is in distress, the following resource will be useful.

Guidelines for Responding to Disruptive or Threatening Student Behavior from the Office of the Vice President of Student Affairs

Learning that a student is experiencing distress and figuring out how you can help them may be a difficult task, but don't feel you need to handle the situation alone. There are many resources within your own department and the different student support offices to help you in this process.

If you feel the need to discuss a specific student situation or if you need additional resources, please call us at (818) 677-2366 during business hours and ask to speak to the on-call counselor or the director.

Making a referral to UCS

To make an appointment with a counselor, please have the student call (818) 677-2366. There is generally more than a one-week wait for an initial appointment. For urgent or emergency assistance, we are able to accommodate students on the same day. Students are advised to call and request to see the on-call counselor or walk into our office.

Upon arriving, the student will be asked to complete paperwork, which will take approximately 10 to 15 minutes to complete, and they’ll likely be able to speak to a counselor within an hour. If you decide to join the student by walking with them to our office, it would be helpful to give us a call to alert the on-call counselor about your approximate time of arrival.

Critical Incident Consultation

UCS provides consultations to students, faculty and staff in response to any critical incident or disaster that may impact the well-being of the CSUN community. We offer de-briefing and psychological-educational consultations for a variety of critical incidents, including the death of a student, faculty or staff, natural disasters, violence on campus and other traumatic events experienced or witnessed. Please call (818) 677-2366 and ask to speak with the acting director, Julie Pearce, or the on-call counselor to arrange a consultation.

Consultations for Specific Student or Departmental Needs

You may request consultations to address the specific needs of your department or the needs of specific student groups.

We routinely consult with the CSUN community about:

  • Our services.
  • The psychological health of students.
  • Addressing the needs of specific groups, including students in a specific club or organization, first-year students, students at risk and residential communities.
  • Collaborating to plan and implement programs.
  • Collaborating with departments in their training of faculty, staff and students.

Employee Assistance Program Consultations

University Counseling Services (UCS) does not directly provide counseling for faculty or staff. However, we can provide assistance to help you find the most appropriate counseling or mental health referral. Please call our director at (818) 677-2366. This service is available to all full- and part-time faculty and staff.