Thank you for your interest in being a student speaker at the 2020 Commencement ceremonies.
CSUN invites students from the graduating class to apply to be the student commencement speaker. It is a distinguished honor to be selected to present a commencement speech—to share your experience, inspire your fellow graduates, and encourage excitement about their future adventures.
Student speeches would be given at the beginning of the Commencement ceremony and are no longer than two minutes in length.
Student Speaker Criteria:
- Filed an application to graduate for either Fall 2019, Spring 2020, or Summer 2020
- Minimum 3.0 GPA
- In good standing with the University
- Plan to attend and participate in Commencement Exercises, including all rehearsals leading up to the event
- Embodies the spirit of the graduating class and represents CSUN
- Possesses strong public speaking skills
Student speakers will be asked to work with a coach in the weeks leading up to commencement to ensure their preparation. Selected students may be asked to refine their speech and practice their delivery in accordance with the Committee’s guidance. Students will be selected by a committee from each college and all applicants will be notified by April 5th of their status in the process.
Applications are due Friday, March 20th by 5pm