Re-inventing the Invention Process
- Date & Time
Thursday, March 16, 2023 - 9:20 AM PST
Orange County 3/4
Inventing adaptive gear should not only consider “What you need” but must also ask, “What do you want?” and “How do you want to feel?” We introduce our method through an interactive visual presentation that shows adaptive product trends over past decades.
The philosophy behind our invention method is called “3-F”. This unique concept simultaneously considers three main factors of equal importance. We view our inventions as a continual process rather than a finished product, and we want to lead viewers through this process so they can apply it to their own products.
1. Function: observing the needs of an individual lets us decide features necessary for an invention to be beneficial. We show working closely with wheelchair-users to design a wheelchair bag with customizable 8-strap system.
2. Fashion: considering aesthetics, a person’s self-image, lifestyle and how they desire to be perceived by others is important. We show how development in mobility devices, fashion trends, and social perceptions challenged us to design our adaptable low-vison cross-body bag.
3. Feedback-based research: engaging with people who use the product in their daily lives informs us before, during and after the design process. We use an “open-ended” design model that constantly improves. We show how to apply feedback to improve a product through a step-by-step of how we developed our low-vision backpack system.
We conclude by challenging viewers to apply 3-F for better product development.
- Disability Specific
- Healthcare & Rehabilitation
- Entertainment & Recreation
- Research & Development
- Audience Level
- Session Summary (Abstract)
Join Feeldom’s product designer and engage in the invention process! Learn how to develop an adaptive product that celebrates the individual by taking a “whole-person” approach to invention. Includes new product demos and audio-visual presentation.
- Primary Topic
- Secondary Topics
- Blind/Low Vision
- Product Demonstration
- Session Type
Add to Outlook/iCal (How it works)
Back to Session List