Community-Centered Accessibility & Disability Inclusion
- Date & Time
Friday, March 17, 2023 - 2:20 PM PST
Most accessibility efforts focus on large organizations but people with disabilities often interact with small or medium businesses, non-profits, and community organizations. These organizations need help improving the accessibility of their facilities, websites, social media, events, and more. Accessible Community’s mission focuses on helping:
● small-to-medium size organizations become accessible and
● people with disabilities find accessible and disability support organizations within their communities.
At the same time, this all-volunteer non-profit helps accessibility experts grow their experience and connections.
We achieve these complementary goals through following efforts:
• Ta11y.org - a web application that guides novices through accessibility evaluations,
• Loca11y.org -a web application that helps people with disabilities find accessible organizations in their communities,
• The Accessibility Mentoring Program that connects novice and experienced accessibility experts, and
• Virtual communities that share resources and ideas on in specific topics relating to accessibility.
During this talk you will learn about these activities and how you can participate in each.
- Disability Specific
- Retail & Wholesale
- Administration & Business Support
- Audience Level
- Session Summary (Abstract)
Come to learn about new web applications that promote accessibility within communities and activities that help novice accessibility professionals grow their skills. We will discuss opportunities to expand accessibility skills by participating.
- Primary Topic
- Secondary Topics
- Blind/Low Vision
- Captions & Transcription
- Deaf and Hard of Hearing
- Session Type
- Rachael Bradley Montgomery
- Brian Montgomery
Add to Outlook/iCal (How it works)
Back to Session List