Keyboard Accessibility: Promoting Accessibility at the Library of Congress
- Date & Time
Friday, March 17, 2023 - 4:20 PM PST
In order to promote accessibility within the Library of Congress, the accessibility team provides internal outreach and training. A new initiative launched in October 2022. This year-long program centers on a single theme as a way of encouraging staff engagement and conversations around the topic.
This year’s theme is the “Year of Keyboard Accessibility.” This includes:
• Why supporting keyboard accessibility is a foundational part of overall accessibility,
• The importance of focus indicators and page order,
• How to plan, design, build and test for keyboard accessibility, and
• How assistive technologies rely on the keyboard focus.
From October 2022 to September 2023, the team:
• Holds fun activities and competitions to get people thinking about keyboard accessibility,
• Promotes tips and success stories in internal publications,
• Updates and create new resources around keyboard accessibility, and
• Provides trainings to improve staff skills in this area.
In this talk we will share the details of this effort to allow other organizations to host a similar activity.
- Information & Communications Technology
- Audience Level
- Session Summary (Abstract)
If you are looking for a way to promote accessibility within your organization, come learn about the Year of Keyboard Accessibility at the Library of Congress. This presentation will provide detailed information to allow you to hold this outreach and
- Primary Topic
Leadership & Strategy
- Secondary Topics
- Digital Accessibility
- Session Type
- Rachael Bradley Montgomery
Library of Congress
Add to Outlook/iCal (How it works)
Back to Session List