37th Annual CSUN Assistive Technology Conference Has Concluded
Controlling Zoom, VoiceOver and iOS by Bluetooth Keyboard
- Date & Time
- Wednesday, March 16, 2022 - 3:20 PM PST
- Platinum 7-8
Persons with low vision and the blind are increasingly using their smart devices to substitute for their computers. These same groups often find apps on a smart device are more accessible than on their computer. However, these users mainly use gestures and on-screen keyboard typing to enter text and navigate within and between applications. The presenters will show the benefits of using a Bluetooth keyboard for both users of the Zoom magnifier and VoiceOver in Apple’s iDevices.
IYellow Access Trainers will lead this presentation with over 50 years of experience working with low vision and the blind. They will demonstrate these benefits in real-time with a Bluetooth keyboard connected to an iPhone. The presentation will directly demonstrate the following using the Bluetooth keyboard:
- Adjusting iOS accessibility settings to facilitate the use of Bluetooth keyboard with Zoom magnifier
- Controlling iOS’ Zoom magnifier by keystroke
- Adjusting iOS accessibility settings to facilitate the use of Bluetooth keyboard with VoiceOver
- Issuing keyboard commands for common iDevice tasks with VoiceOver on such as accessing the Home screen, app switcher, screen navigation, scrolling, text editing, screen reading, performing a Magic Tap, to name a few
- Displaying the equivalent gestures for select keystroke commands
iYellow Access has trained hundreds of persons with low vision and the blind to use their computers and smart devices. It has nearly 40 years of experience working with persons with low vision and the blind in home, education, and work situations. The training materials created for our users are often sought after by Assistive Technology Trainers and organizations who work with these groups. They are comprehensive in their scope regarding hotkeys for key processes and suggested configuration changes. All participants will receive our comprehensive resource document, including all processes and hotkeys reviewed and information on configuring iOS and the benefits of using a Bluetooth keyboard to supplement gestures.
This Presentation Link is provided by the Presenter(s) and not hosted by the Center on Disabilities at CSUN. The Center on Disabilities has confirmed, as of March 17, 2022, content linked is relevant to the presentation, but has not been reviewed for accessibility nor will the Center on Disabilities attempt to remediate any accessibility issues in the linked content. Please contact the Presenter(s) with any accessibility concerns.
- Higher Education
- Information & Communications Technology
- Disability Specific
- K-12 Education
- Employment & Human Resources
- Audience Level
- Session Summary (Abstract)
- This session will demonstrate the benefits of using a Bluetooth keyboard with an iDevice and configure an iDevice to work optimally with such a keyboard. Specific keyboard commands to control Zoom, VoiceOver, and processes in the iOS environment will be reviewed.
- Session Type
- General Track
- Blind/Low Vision
- Digital Accessibility
- Employment & Workplace
- Mobile Technology
- Harris Rosensweig
- Jeff Ermold
- Jessica Aiello