Spring 2014 Events
- CSUN's Office of Human Resources is sponsoring a year-long event series called "Connecting the Dots," some in partnership with CIELO programs. Their brochure offers the online Professional & Personal Development Program schedule
Just in time for spring 2014 classes, CIELO has assembled a collection of syllabus best practices that faculty can use in writing their syllabi. View the collection on our website: http://www.csun.edu/cielo/syllabus.html. And suggest an addtional best practice on our blog: http://csun-syllabi-best-practices.tumblr.com/
Here's a sample from the best practices website with language recommended by DRES to let students know that you are prepared to accommodate students with disabilities:
"If you have a disability and need accommodations, please register with the Disability Resources and Educational Services (DRES) office or the National Center on Deafness (NCOD). The DRES office is located in Bayramian Hall, room 110 and can be reached at 818.677.2684. NCOD is located on Bertrand Street in Jeanne Chisholm Hall and can be reached at 818.677.2611. If you would like to discuss your need for accommodations with me, please contact me to set up an appointment."
CIELO supports a wide variety of activities, including:
- sharing knowledge, skills and values through seminars, workshops, conversations and publications;
- engaging in and sharing original research on student learning;
- building faculty learning communities that are cohort based (such as new faculty, senior faculty for teaching excellence, faculty teaching first-time freshmen, part-time faculty, and teaching assistants); course or discipline-based; and topic based (e.g. teaching and learning with technology, community service-learning, problem-based learning, linked courses).
- encouraging students to become independent, self-reliant learners and responsible members of their communities;
- exploring alternate modes of learning (e.g. modules, self-paced learning, on-line instruction, limited seat time);
- involving students in conversations with faculty regarding teaching-learning issues; and
- investigating transition issues for new students to help them get the most from their college experience.
Call or visit CIELO
- CIELO is located on the Sierra Hall 4th floor “rooftop” corridor. Climb the stairs or take the Sierra Hall freight elevator, which is located in the southwest corner of Sierra Hall just around the corner from the large Geography Department globe. Our suite includes these SH rooms: 422, 433-443.
- The CIELO suite shares a corridor with the Whitsett Room and the offices of the Dean of Humanities and the Dean of Social and Behavioral Sciences.
- Map to Sierra Hall: http://www.csun.edu/cielo/images/SierraHallMap_11111.gif
- CSUN campus map: http://www.csun.edu/maps/
- Call us at 818-677-6535 (or x6535 from campus phones)