- Provide scholarships and promote curriculum development and the provision of innovative educational programs;
- Promote the professional growth and development of faculty, students, and professionals in the fields of risk and insurance;
- Increase communication among faculty, students, and professionals in the insurance field;
- Support the pursuit of scholarly projects and publications related to risk and insurance. The scope of these efforts will include theoretical, applied, and pedagogical inquiry related to the aforementioned areas of study;
- Serve as an educational resource for the students and faculty at California State University, Northridge.
For over 40 years, California State University, Northridge, has been providing Risk Management and Insurance education to undergraduates. CSUN’s history and reach extend deep into the Risk Management and Insurance (RMI) communities in the Southland. Dr. Joseph Launie was among the first faculty to teach RMI west of the Mississippi.
The Center for Insurance Education and Research was chartered in 1992. The Center was renamed to the Center for Financial Services and Insurance in 2008, to the Center for Risk and Insurance in 2010, and then to the Center for Risk Management and Insurance in 2019.
Since Fall 2017, Nazarian students can major in the B.S. Finance with Option in Insurance (Will be renamed to Option in Risk Management and Insurance in Fall 2021).
CSUN’s current RMI program is led by Dr. David Russell, who has taught Risk Management and Insurance for over 25 years, the last 17 of which he has spent at CSUN. He holds a doctorate from the University of Pennsylvania’s Wharton School. Russell currently serves as Co-Director of CSUN’s Center for Risk Management and Insurance. Dr. Russell received the 2019 Excellence in Teaching Award from the American Risk and Insurance Association (ARIA). Dr. Russell was named the 2012 recipient of the CPCU’s Rie Sharp Insurance Person of the Year award for Greater Los Angeles