College of Social and Behavioral Science
- Coordinator: Thomas Maddux
- Sierra Tower (ST) 612
- (818) 677-3566
- Steven Graves (Geography)
- Andrea Henderson (History)
- Thomas Maddux (History)
- Robert Marshall (Urban Archives)
- Merry Ovnick (History)
- Josh Sides (History)
- Minor in California Studies
The Minor in California Studies is an interdisciplinary program that includes courses from a variety of disciplines including biology, ethnic studies, geography, geology, history, political science, and urban studies. The minor is designed to enhance faculty and study interaction in an interdisciplinary setting and assist both in exploring the connections among different perspectives on a major subject. Students will not only study California from a variety of perspectives in the classroom but they will also have an opportunity to engage in significant field research and internship activities as part of the minor’s requirements. Internships that may assist a student’s future career will be encouraged with public agencies, local archive and research collections, and private sector firms. The minor program will also encourage and support students who wish to participate in regional conferences on California Studies. Students should consult with the coordinator or faculty on the program committee to review requirements, courses that are available each semester, and internship and employment opportunities.
Advisement is available from either the Coordinator of California Studies or from members of the Program Committee.
Requirements for the California Studies Minor
- A minimum of 18 units shall be completed in at least three disciplines.
1. Required Courses (6 Units)
- GEOG 330 Geography of California (3)
- HIST 488 California (3)
2. Peoples of California
Select three units:
- ANTH 307 Indians of California and the Southwest (3)
- AAS 210 History of Asians in American (3)
- CH S 246 Contemporary Issues of the Chicana (3)
3. Research and Internship six units with one course from each area.
A minor advisor must approve the internship program (6 Units)
- ANTH 476A-E Field Study (3)
- CH S 497 Senior Seminar in Chicana/o?Studies (3)
- GEOG 497E California (3)
- HIST 497T California (3)
- URBS 490C Field Work (3)
Social Science Career Internship listed under all departments in the College of Social and Behavioral Sciences: PAS 392A-Z, Field Work in the Pan African Community, POLS 486, POLS 498 Field Assignments and Reports, PSY 486, SOC 482SOC, 475AEE/BEE, 498AEE-CEE, URBS 494ABC and CHS 270, Field Work in Barrio Studies.
4. Electives (3 Units)
- BIOL 323 Plants and Animals of Southern California (3)
- CH S 445 History of the Chicano (3)
- GEOG 450 Geography of Los Angeles (3)
- GEOL 345 Geology of California (3)
- HIST 486A History of Los Angeles (3)
- POLS 403 State and Local Government (3)
- URBS 380 Los Angeles: Past, Present and Future (3)
- URBS 450 Urban Problems (3)
- Total Units Required for the Minor