Table of Contents

Bachelor’s Degree Requirements

  1. Completion of the applicable General Education program, which includes Title 5 requirements in American History and Government.
  2. Completion of the requirements for a major.
  3. Writing Skills Requirements:

Lower Division Requirement.

The University requires of all students a 3-unit Lower-Division course in composition. Students must complete the Lower-Division writing requirement no later than the semester in which 45 units are completed. Transfer students with more than 35 units who have nt completed the Lower-Division writing requirement must do so within the first semester of residence. Students may meet this requirement by

  1. completing AAS 155, CH S 155, ENGL 155 or PAS 155 or an equivalent course at an accredited community or 4-year college; or
  2. receiving a satisfactory score on the English Equivalency Examination or the Advanced Placement Test. Completion of this requirement fulfills a portion of the Basic Skills Section of the General Education Program. Note: Completion of the Lower-Division writing requirement is a prerequisite for all Upper-Division General Education courses.

Upper Division Requirement.

The University has implemented the Trustee Policy for the Writing Skills Graduation Requirement for all Upper-Division students who will graduate Spring 1982 or thereafter in the following manner:

  1. Students who have completed 56 units and have met the Lower-Division writing requirement shall be required to take an essay examination.
  2. Undergraduate students are encouraged to take the Upper Division Writing Proficiency Examination (UDWPE) as early as possible after (a) above has been met, but must take the UDWPE no later than the semester in which 90 units are completed. Students who have not taken the UDWPE by the completion of 90 units may have an advisement hold placed on their subsequent registration (s).
  3. Students who fail the exam shall be permitted to repeat the examination. Subsequent attempts, however, shall be permitted only after the students have taken further steps to improve their writing deficiencies, such as completion of an appropriate course in writing.
  4. The examination shall consist of an essay on an assigned topic evaluated by the faculty.
  5. The evaluation criteria shall include a demonstration of
  6. 1) analytic skills, 2) logical organization, 3) effective development, 4) appropriate diction, 5) correct grammar and mechanics.
  7. Administrations of the examination will be announced in the CSUN Schedule of Classes and Enrollment Guide.
  8. The examination will be scheduled at least five times within an academic year.
  9. Registration cards are available at University Cash Services and at the Testing Office.
  10. Certification of graduation writing competence shall be transferable from one CSU campus to another.
  1. Grade Point Average Requirement. Each student shall complete with a grade point average of 2.0 (grade C on a 4-point scale) or better:
  1. All units attempted, including those accepted by transfer from another institution
  2. All Upper-Division units required in the major
  3. All Upper-Division units required in the minor
  4. All units attempted at CSUN
  1. Residency Requirement. Completion of 30 units in residence at CSU Northridge; 24 of the 30 units must be completed in Upper Division. Twelve of the units must be in the major, and 9 of the units must be in General Education. (CSU Northridge coursework taken in Open University is considered residence, with a maximum of 24 special session units.)
  1. Total unit minimums:

Unit Distribution:

  1. Formal approval by the faculty of the University. Application for Graduation, Graduation Evaluation and Diploma: Undergraduate students must file an Application for Graduation and Diploma (approved by the major department) with the Office of Admissions & Records before they can be officially evaluated for graduation.

Applying for Your Bachelor’s Degree

  1. Get the Required Faculty Signatures on the Application for Bachelor’s Degree and Diploma and make an appointment with a faculty advisor to discuss the major curriculum and major catalog year. The faculty advisor will verify this information on the application for adding a signature of approval. If you plan to graduate with a minor or second major, you will also need the major catalog year and faculty advisor signature in the designated area on the application. This signed application constitutes formal approval of your program by the faculty.
  2. Turn in your completed Application for Bachelor’s Degree and Diploma to Admissions and Records. You will be required to pay a filing fee upon submission of the application. Deadline dates for filing are published each semester in the CSUN Schedule of Classes and Enrollment Guide. Visit the Admissions and Records Website. There is a late fee if you do not file on time. Paying the late fee does not insure receiving your Grad Check prior to your last semester.
  3. Look for your Graduation Evaluation in the Mail. You will receive an official DPR evaluation from your Graduation Evaluator showing what courses and other degree requirements you have not yet completed. If you turned in your application and paid your fee by the published deadline, the university graduation evaluation will reach you before the System Registration date of your final semester. Call your departmental advisor or your Graduation Evaluator if you have any questions about your evaluation. The Graduation Evaluation reflects units applicable toward degree requirements only. Therefore, this figure may be lower than the cumulative units reflected on other CSUN documents.
  4. Decide Whether to Participate in the Graduation Ceremony

You will be invited to the commencement ceremony for the academic year in which you graduate. If you decide to participate in the annual spring commencement ceremony, follow the instructions in the commencement handbook.

Note that participation in the ceremony does not mean that you have officially graduated and qualified for your bachelor’s degree. If, in your final semester, you don’t complete a course or earn a grade as anticipated, you will need to change your graduation date at Admissions & Records for the semester or summer of actual completion.

  1. Receive your Diploma Your diploma and letter of congratulations will be mailed to you 3 to 6 weeks after your official graduation notification. Note that there are 3 official graduation dates each calendar year: the final day of the fall semester, the final day of the spring semester; and the final day of the last summer session. These are the only dates on CSUN diplomas.