Campus Budget News

Student FAQ Fall 2010

Posted June 25, 2010 / Archived November 12, 2010

This Student FAQ was for the Fall 2010 semester. Click here for the most current Student FAQ. This FAQ includes and supplements information recently distributed to students by email.


  1. I received a notice that registration fees were recently increased. What are the new fees and why have they been raised?

    On June 18, 2010, the Board of Trustees increased the State University Fee for the Fall 2010 semester in the amount of $102 for undergraduate students, $117 for credential program students, and $126 for graduate and post-baccalaureate students. These increased amounts apply to students taking 6.1 or more units. A lower fee amount will apply for students taking 6 or fewer units. The fee for Education Doctorate students was increased in the amount of $435. In addition, the Board of Trustees increased the Graduate Business Professional (MBA) fee in the amount of $10 per unit. CSUN will implement these increases on June 26, 2010.

    As you may know, student fees are set by the Board of Trustees of the California State University and are significantly influenced by the level of State appropriations to support higher education. Although the 2010-11 State budget has yet to be adopted, the Board of Trustees has set Fall 2010 fee levels based on information known at this time. 

  2. When are the new fees due and what do I do if I already have paid?

    1. Registered and paid: If you registered for classes and paid your total fees before the increase was implemented, you can expect to see the amount of the increase on your account (summary) under the charge type “Tuition and Fees”. The “Total Charges Outstanding” and “Current Balance Outstanding” will include the increase. Your Student Account history will display the increase as a separate line item, which will be due on July 19, 2010*, as indicated on your account. You should check your account regularly. For additional information on fee payments please go to and click on “Tuition and Fees Fall 2010” for due dates.

    2. Registered before June 27 but not yet paid: If you registered for classes before the increase was implemented but have not yet paid, your Student Account history will display the increase as a separate line item. You will have until July 19, 2010* to pay the “Current Balance Outstanding “ which includes the increase. For additional information on fee payments please go to and click on “Tuition and Fees Fall 2010” for due dates.

    3. Registered after June 26: If you registered for classes after the increase was implemented, the increase will be incorporated in your total “Tuition and Fees” and not displayed as a separate line item on your Student Account history. You will have until the due date indicated on your account to pay the “Current Balance Outstanding”. For additional information on fee payments please go to and click on “Tuition and Fees Fall 2010” for due dates.

    *Note that you will not be disenrolled solely for failure to pay the Board of Trustees approved Fall 2010 fee increase by the due date indicated on your account. However, students with outstanding account balances will be unable to register for the Spring 2011 semester until the Fall semester fees are paid in full.

  3. What is eRefund (direct deposit)?

    Students now have the option of electing to have their financial aid balance and/or student refunds electronically deposited to their bank account instead of waiting for a check to be mailed to them. It is fast and secure. In order to elect eRefund students must complete an application on line. For more information about eRefunds and how to apply, go to

  4. Will fees be increased again this year?

    The Board of Trustees will review the actual level of 2010-11 State budget appropriations to higher education at its meeting in November 2010. At that time the Board will determine whether the budget contains sufficient funds to avoid additional fee increases.


  1. Has the budget affected course availability? 

    Every attempt has been made to cut costs that do not affect instruction. Unfortunately, due to budgetary constraints, some courses and sections had to be eliminated and unit limits have been imposed on student’s initial registration. We regret that every class removed from the schedule places more demand on the classes we do offer, thus making access to those classes more difficult. 

    For information about unit limits, waiting lists, permission numbers and other related issues please visit the Office of Undergraduate Studies' Policies website or the Campus Budget News page to access important information about these policy changes to access FAQs for Students.

  2. Why can't I find any classes with available seats?

    The State of California is experiencing unprecedented budget problems that adversely impact CSUN’s ability to offer the same number of classes and sections we have been able to provide in the past. Since the economic picture for the State, and therefore for the CSU and CSUN is constantly changing, visit the Campus Budget News FAQ.

    While every attempt has been made to cut costs that do not affect instruction, some courses and sections had to be eliminated. Every class removed from the schedule places more demand on the classes we do offer.

  3. I went into a class today and there were empty seats. But the instructor said she couldn't add anyone. Why not?

    The simple answer is that each course is assigned a maximum enrollment cap (the maximum number of students who can take the class). This cap is based on a variety of factors such as the type of instruction (e.g. lecture, seminar or laboratory) and the kinds of assignments that will be required (e.g. intensive writing, lab sessions). The cap is designed to maximize learning and is not related to room size. Rooms are often allocated on a space available basis, so large rooms may be given to courses with smaller permissible enrollments. So, while the room looks like it isn't full, the course is.

    The goal of our University is make sure that each student receives the best possible education. We do not want to diminish student learning by exceeding the enrollment caps that are thoughtfully constructed. To do so would be to shortchange students.

  4. Can I get on a waiting list for the next available seat?

    Each department makes its own decisions about how to add students as seats become available. Some departments create waiting lists; some allocate seats according to the number of units a student has earned, with graduating seniors getting preference; some give seats out on a first-come, first-served basis on the first day of class; and some leave the decision up to the individual instructor.

    The best way to find out how available seats will be allocated in the class you want is either to email the instructor or attend the first day of class and ask for the procedures that will govern "adds" in the class you want. A permission number will be required to add any class on or after the first day of instruction.

  5. What's a permission number and how do I get one?

    Permission is required to add restricted classes at all times. Some classes are restricted before instruction for a term begins; all classes are restricted after instruction begins. Restricted classes display the Class Note "Department or Instructor Consent Required" in SOLAR Class Search.

    To obtain permission to add a class, contact the department or the instructor of the course (see #3 above). You may receive either a permission number or a student specific permission. Either kind of permission is valid until you successfully enroll in the class, until it expires, or until the end of the third week of a semester—whichever comes first. See the Late Registration/Schedule Adjustment deadlines.

    Use permissions for the Fall 2010 semester before September 10, 2010. After that date, classes can be added only for serious and compelling reasons, and a Late Change in Academic Schedule form must be completed. The form can be downloaded here.

    Learn more with the tutorial, "Add a Class Using a Permission Number."

  6. If I get a permission number and I find I can't use it, can I give it to a friend or trade it for a seat in a different class?

    Absolutely not. Permission numbers may not be given to or exchanged with other students. A permission number is a permit given to a specific student for a specific seat in a specific class. It is regarded as academic dishonesty to sell, give or trade permission numbers or to use a permission number given to another student.

    Class rosters are audited to make certain that students who register in restricted classes are only those for whom a specific permission number was issued by a department office or instructor. A registered student who either has given or obtained a permission number that was not authorized by the department will be subject to academic discipline as well as dismissal from the class.

  7. I can't get into a certain class I need to graduate or to meet a prerequisite. What can I do?

    Make an appointment with your department chair/department advisor to explore options. Sometimes, if accreditation permits substitutions or equivalencies, the department will suggest alternative ways to meet department graduation requirements. You may be able to take needed classes at community colleges, other CSUs or online at other 4-year universities.

    Check with to see if a course offered at another institution has been approved for transferability to CSUN. If not, get a copy of the catalog description of the class you want to substitute. If you think the course description closely matches that of the CSUN class, submit the description to your department chair who will advise you on whether it is an acceptable alternative.

    Beware that this option may not be possible because of accreditation or related academic issues that require certain courses to be taken only at CSUN.


  1. Is there financial aid to cover the increase in fees and tuition?

    1. The Financial Aid & Scholarship Department had projected a 10% fee increase in preparation for making 2010/11 awards. As a result of the recent Board of Trustees’ action, the Department will adjust your 2010-11 financial aid Cost of Attendance to reflect the newly established fees.

    2. Students with State University Grant (SUG) awards will see their grant adjusted to reflect the new State University Fee. Students will receive an updated award letter before the start of the fall semester.

    3. It is not yet known whether the additional increase in fees will be covered by the Cal Grant award. The California State Budget process will determine the amount of Cal Grants for the CSU. Students who have been awarded Cal Grant, and have sufficient anticipated aid, to cover the cost of fall 2010 registration fees will have their enrollment protected until funds are available for the Cal Grant to be paid.

    4. Students who have been awarded loans only may see a change in their award package due to the adjustment to their Cost of Attendance. Students will receive an updated award letter if changes occur. Students do not need to contact the Department of Financial Aid and Scholarships.

    5. Students who have not yet been awarded will have all adjustments reflected in their future award packages.

  2. Is it too late to apply for financial aid?

    Students may apply for 2010-11 financial aid at any time before the last day of the Spring 2011 semester, or the last day of Fall 2010 semester if only attending in Fall. Obviously, the sooner you apply the better. For information on applying for financial aid go to /financialaid/apply.html.  

    Most grant aid is awarded to students who file the FAFSA by March 2 the year prior to receiving aid. However, Pell Grant and Stafford Loans are available throughout the aid year.


  1. Has the budget environment affected academic policies? 

    Budget related restrictions on enrollment have resulted in a number of changes in policies such as registration unit limits, eligibility to repeat a class, academic probation and disqualification, adding or changing majors and/or minors and disenrollment. Please familiarize yourself with these changes and others related to academic progress by visiting the Office of Undergraduate Studies' Policies website or the Campus Budget News page

  2. Why do I have to wait until the Thursday before the start of classes (August 19) to add a class that I want to repeat?

    This fall 2010, classes will begin on Monday, August 23. Because of the budget situation, students who want to repeat courses must wait until August 19, 2010 to enroll in a class they wish to repeat. Enrollment may be done in SOLAR without permission numbers until the semester begins. After August 23, permission numbers will be needed. See questions 4 and 5 in the section above on "Registering for Classes" for additional information. In summary, the new repeat policy allows every student to have one chance in a class before any student has multiple chances.


  1. Can I buy a parking permit on-line?

    Student residential, semester, and academic-year parking permits will be available for on-line purchase as of July 12, 2010. This fast, easy and convenient process can be accessed through “my Northridge Portal” on the website.  Please note that no additional 2.9% credit card convenience fees will be charged for purchasing online parking permits. Permits will be mailed out on August 2, 2010.

  2. Do I have to have a parking permit on the first day of class?

    Yes, a parking permit is required at all times. Parking without a permit may result in a parking violation fine.

  3. How difficult is it to find parking on campus?

    During the first several weeks of the semester traffic is at its heaviest and parking spaces on the west side of campus ("B" lots) fill up quickly. Students are encouraged to utilize the new G3 parking structure located off of Zelzah Ave and Prairie St.


  1. What is Freshman Intent to Register?

    In order to monitor the size of the entering freshman class for Fall 2010 so that we can assure adequate resources to serve every enrolled student, CSUN requires that all first-time freshmen electronically indicate their Intent to Register.

  2. What is the deadline for students to indicate their Intent to Register? 

    May 1, 2010 is the DEADLINE for indicating Intent to Register through the myNorthridge portal. Learn more with the tutorial “Freshmen – Intent to Register” at

  3. What if I didn't comply with this requirement by the deadline?

    You will not be able to attend CSUN in Fall 2010.

  4. What is Transfer Student Intent to Register?

    To enroll in the Fall 2010 semester, transfer students are also required to file an electronic Intent to Register by July 2, 2010.

  5. Can I appeal this decision?

    No, the deadline to file the Intent to Register is absolute. University policy and practices related to the current California budget crisis have made deviation from the freshman deadline of May 1, 2010 and the transfer student deadline of July 2, 2010 impossible.

  6. I was never told about this requirement. It's not fair to hold me to this deadline.

    The requirement to file the Intent to Register was communicated to all freshmen and transfer applicants in many forms: in the Admission Brochure packet mailed to all provisionally-admitted first-time students, in the online myNorthridge admissions status checklist, in various letters and e-mail communications reminding students to monitor their application status online for incomplete tasks, and on websites such as “I Have Been Admitted” at

  7. What are my options if I didn't file an Intent to Register by the deadline?

    Freshmen may want to consider attending a community college. You can transfer to CSU Northridge after you have earned 60 units and after you complete your basic subjects and lower division General Education, OR Freshmen and transfer students can ask CSUN to move their application from Fall 2010 to another term beginning Fall 2011. In order to make this request, complete the form at Please note that a request to forward your application to a future term is not a guarantee of admission.

  8. Can I reapply/apply to CSUN for Spring 2011?

    At this time, CSUN is not accepting applications for undergraduate study for Spring 2011. Please check the Admissions and Records website below for additional information as it becomes available: /admissions-records/admissions-calendar.


  1. What are the EPT/ELM tests?

    The California State University system requires that each entering First Time Freshman, except those who qualify for an exemption, take these CSU placement exams prior to enrollment in classes. They are a condition of enrollment. Learn more at:

  2. When can I take the test(s)?

    The EPT/ELM tests are offered year-round at various CSU campuses and at ALL CSU campuses in March, May and June. The specific test dates and registration deadlines for each campus are listed online along with the addresses and phone numbers of the individual Testing Offices. For a complete listing, check the CSU EPT/ELM Information bulletin ( Pay close attention to the registration deadline listed by each test date since your registration must reach the testing office by the registration deadline.

    Students may take the test at the most convenient CSU campus. Online registration is available at most campuses. If you wish to take the EPT at CSUN, online registration is available ( June 19, 2010 is the DEADLINE for completing the EPT/ELM requirement. Results from EPT/ELM tests taken after June 19, 2010 will not be accepted at CSU Northridge for the Fall 2010 semester.

  3. What happens if I missed the deadline?

    You will not be able to attend CSUN in Fall 2010 as a First-Time Freshman unless you were exempt from the test(s) because of high SAT or ACT scores, AP tests or completion of certain EAP courses in high school.

  4. I never heard about the EPT/ELM requirement. Why can't I take it later?

    There were numerous opportunities to take these placements exams throughout the application cycle. The requirement to test and the deadline to test were communicated to all prospective freshmen in many forms-- letters, email, websites, etc.

  5. What are my options if I missed the EPT/ELM test?

    You may want to consider attending a community college. You can transfer to CSU Northridge after you have earned 60 units and after you complete your basic subjects and lower division general education courses OR

    You can request CSU Northridge to move your application from Fall 2010 to another term. To make this request, complete the form at:

    * Note that a request to forward your application to a future term is not a guarantee of admission.