Join the Library as we celebrate the grand opening of Special Collections & Archives 2023-2024 "Eating the Archives" exhibit with special guest speakers!
Eating the Archives explores the many ways archival representations of food and related cultural practices preserve community memories while reflecting and engaging with broader societal issues related to identity, representation, and daily lived experiences. It also explores ways of transmitting cooking knowledge, and considers contributions to American foodways. It also examines the interplay between food and issues such as politics, labor, gender, and identity. Taken together, it provides food for thought on the ways this essential part of life satiates our appetites while serving as a conduit for our culture.
- 4:00 – 5:00 pm – Special Guest Panel Discussion, Ferman Presentation Room, University Library Garden Level
- 4:05 – 4:15 pm - Welcome remarks by Mark Stover, Dean of the University Library
- 4:15 – 5:00 pm - Archives Librarian Mallory Furnier will lead a panel discussion on themes related to the exhibit.
- 5:00 – 6:00 p.m. – University Exhibit Gallery, 2nd Floor, West Wing
- Self-guided exploration of the exhibit with light refreshments
- Beatriz (Betty) Porto, Vice President and Director of Community Relations, Porto’s Bakery
- Dr. Gina Giotta, Communication Studies, CSUN
- Adrienne Borlongan, Creative Partner and Co-Founder, Wanderlust Creamery
- Jon-Patrick Lopez, Operating Partner and Co-founder, Wanderlust Creamery