“Empty your pockets and show me your papers” are words that may unfortunately resonate with many of the black and brown students on our campus. Hate speech and threats scrawled on walls and left behind for others to find have increased the tension across campus. College campuses should be safe spaces for all students to learn and grow but as a microcosm of our society many of the injustices perpetuated in the surrounding community find their way onto our campuses. Students, faculty and staff are invited to join us for a frank and open discussion about student safety on campus and in the surrounding community. Our speakers panel will include student activists/leaders, police officers and the Dean of Students.
The panel will be moderated by Natalie Mason-Kinsey (CSUN Chief Diversity Officer). The panelists will include:
- Dr. William Watkins (Vice President of Student Affairs and Dean of Students)
- CSUN Police Chief Gregory Murphy
- Kiyomi Magee (President of the Black Student Union)
- Kaila Moore-Jones (CSUNaturals)
- Eduardo Estrada (Students for Quality Education)
- Diego Paniagua (Revolutionary Scholars)
- Ben Zeiger (Director of Jewish Student Life)
- Sergeant Frank Gudani (CSUN Police).
Please stay after the discussion and break bread with us. This event is sponsored by the Oviatt Library.