If you do not have access to Zoom or a desktop, laptop, or mobile device with the capability of Zoom/camera or if you simply do not feel safe sharing your information with us through a Zoom HIPAA video interface call, our partner sites listed below are happy to assist you with an alternative to Zoom HIPAA.
- PARS Equality Center (Sherman Oaks)
- YMCA, Mid Valley (Van Nuys)
- YMCA, West Valley (Reseda)
These services are designed to allow you to physically drop off your documents and have your tax return done at a later time. See below for details.
How can I schedule an appointment?
To schedule a Drop-Off appointment, please click on the following link and select the one of the "Drop-Off" options.
What should I bring to my appointment?
After scheduling your appointment, you will receive a confirmation with instructions.
In preparation of your appointment, please fill out Form 13614-C as it will help you identify the documents you need for your appointment. If you are filing a Married Filing Joint return, both you and your spouse must be present at the appointment.
- Social security cards/ITINs for everyone that will be listed on the return
- Current year W-2
- 1099-NEC (non-employee compensation)
- 1099-SSA (social security income)
- 1099-INT (interest income)
- 1099-Div (dividend income)
- 1099-B (Sales of Stocks, Bonds, Virtual Currency, or Real Estate)
- 1099-R (retirement income)
- 1099-G (unemployment compensation)
- W-2G (gambling winnings)
- 1099-B (stock brokers transaction statement)
- 1099-K (Lyft and Uber most commonly)
- Tax Summary (Uber and Lyft. Gives earnings and fees paid)
- Total Cash Income along with a list of Business expenses.
- 1099-C (Cancellation of Debt)
- 1098-T (tuition form)
- 1098 (mortgage interest statement)
- Real estate tax forms
- 1095-A (market place insurance aka Obama care, Covered California, Affordable Care Act)
- 1095-B (Medi-Cal)
- 1095-C (employer-provided health insurance)
- IP Pin letter
- 1098-E (student loan interest repayment)
- 5498-SA (HSA)
- Amount contributed to an IRA (can be written on additional comments of Form 13614-C)
- Notice 1444A and Notice 1444B Stimulus Payments (may be written on additional comments)
- Voided Check or account and routing number for direct deposit/direct debit
What is the Drop-Off procedure?
At the arrival of your appointment, you will sign a Form 14446. If you are filing a Single, Head of Household, or Qualifying Widower return, check your email for a link to electronically sign this form and present the staff member at the Drop-Off site with the confirmation email that you signed the form. You may also sign this form at the Drop-Off location.
A staff member at the Drop-Off site will conduct an interview based off your filled in and signed Form 13614-C to determine if you qualify for VITA services. Upon determining qualification, staff member will take all your documents listed above and scan them into a secure CSUN Confidential Box folder for VITA tax return preparation. The Drop-Off location does not keep any of your tax documents.
You will be "scheduled" for an appointment with VITA for preparation of your tax return. There is no action need on your end for this appointment. The appointment slot is simply to have a designated time for CSUN to call you if they need any clarification on your return.
You will receive a call or an email from a CSUN VITA staff member when your return has been completed to clarify any questions they may have and to inform you of your refund/liability. They will also be able to answer any questions you may have. Once you and VITA come to an agreement on your tax return, you will have two options for delivery of tax return:
- CSUN VITA can send you an encrypted pdf copy of your tax return where you will reply with an email consent to electronically file your tax return.
- CSUN VITA will schedule an appointment for you to go back to the Drop-Off site of your choice and pick up your return where you will physically sign the return.
Is CSUN Confidential Box safe to scan my documents?
Confidential Box is CSUN’s secure solution for storing Confidential Level 1 data. It is the approved method by CSUN Information Technology and the IRS.
For more information, visit https://www.csun.edu/it/confidentialbox.
When can I expect to have my tax return finished?
The turnaround time to complete tax return is 1-2 weeks.