Leave of Absence Without Pay

A leave of absence without pay may be granted subject to the employee's Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA). 

If you meet the qualifications per your CBA , please see below for instructions:

An employee on a Leave Without Pay for more than one full pay period may elect to continue his/her fringe benefits at his/her expense. For leaves under the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA), CSU benefit plan contributions for health, dental and vision coverage shall continue for a maximum of 12 weeks.

For CSU voluntary insurance plans the employee may pay the premiums directly to continue the insurance by contacting the administrator of the plans. For other payroll deductions, arrangement for continued payment must be made with the organization involved. 

1. If You are Requesting a Leave Without Pay:

    • Follow the guidelines on the Application For Leave of Absence Without Pay form.
    • Contact your manager/department chair and discuss your intent to request a Leave of Absence Without Pay. At this time, you should submit written notification to your department.

Please include the following:

      1. Reason for leave request
      2. Start and End Date of leave.
    • Manager may contact Human Resources, Benefits Administration to discuss eligibility and requirements.
    • Manager will notify employee of decision (within 45 days), and forward a copy of determination to Human Resources.

2.  To Request an Extension of Existing Leave Without Pay:

    • If you are requesting an extension to your current Leave of Absence Without Pay, contact your department manager in writing, at least 2 weeks prior to your scheduled return to work date.

3. Returning to Work Prior to Expected Return to Work Date:

    • If you are requesting to return to work prior to your requested end date, contact your department manager in writing at least 2 weeks prior to the scheduled return to work date. 

If you have any questions, please contact: