A leave of absence without pay may be granted subject to the employee's Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA).
Staff Leave of Absence Without Pay
A full-time or part-time staff employee may be granted a full or partial leave of absence without pay for up to one (1) year. The leave of absence of a temporary employee eligible for such leave shall terminate upon the expiration of that employee’s temporary appointment. A written request to include reason and dates for a leave of absence without pay or an extension of a leave of absence without pay is to be submitted to Benefits Administration 30 days in advance, as foreseeable. Benefits Administration will contact employee and employee’s department management for review and consideration of the leave request. The department will make a final determination within 30 days and notify all parties with a written response.
Review your corresponding Collective Bargaining Agreement for more details.
If you have any questions, please contact:
- Employees with last name A-K contact Cari Morgan at x6510 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Employees with last name L-Z contact Debbie Stewart at x3351 or email@example.com
Faculty Leave of Absence Without Pay
An eligible faculty unit employee may be granted a leave of absence without pay for a specific purpose and length of time, such as one (1) quarter, two (2) quarters, one (1) semester, or one (1) year, or shorter period of time. Leaves of absence without pay may be granted for up to two (2 years. An extension of such leave may be granted for up to one (1) year at a time.
A written application for a leave of absence without pay or an extension of a leave of absence without pay shall be submitted to the appropriate administrator prior to the academic term in which the period of leave is requested.
The eligible faculty unit employee shall receive a written response regarding granting or denial of the leave.
- If a professional leave is granted, the response shall include the reason(s) for granting the leave and any conditions of such a leave.
- If a professional leave is denied, the response shall include the reason(s) for the denial.
For additional information, please contact Faculty Affairs.
Fringe & Voluntary Benefits
If you meet the qualifications per your CBA, and your leave request is approved:
- An employee on a leave of absence without pay for more than one full pay period may opt to continue their fringe benefits at their own expense. For leaves under Family & Medical Leave (FML), CSU benefit plan contributions for medical, dental, and vision coverage would continue for up to a maximum of 12 workweeks.
- For CSU voluntary benefit plans, to continue coverage an employee may pay the premiums directly to the carrier by contacting the administrator of the plans. For other payroll deductions, arrangement for continued payment must be made with the organization involved.