Health Care Benefits - Frequently Asked Questions

Take a moment to read through the following Frequently Asked Questions regarding medical, dental, and vision benefit coverage.

I. When will my Benefits begin?

Your benefits begin the first of the month following your date of hire as long as the Benefits office received the medical enrollment form by the end of the month that you were hired. Example: Your date of hire was on September 2nd, if Benefits received your enrollment form by September 30th, you can enroll in medical benefits effective October 1st.

Note for Faculty: Faculty starting in the Fall are eligible for benefits effective October 1. Faculty starting in the Spring are eligible for benefits effective March 1st.

II. When are Health Care Premiums deducted from my Pay Warrant?

Your premium for your medical benefit plan is paid in advance of the pay period for which you receive the benefit. For example, health plan coverage for the month of August, 2014 will be deducted from your July, 2014 pay period warrant.

There are no premiums for dental and vision benefit coverage.

III. I am getting married soon. Can I add my new Spouse and/or Step Child(ren), or do I have to wait until there is an Open Enrollment period?

You have within 60 days after the marriage to add your spouse and/or stepchild(ren) to your health or dental coverage.  After 60 days, you can add them during the annual open enrollment period or through a "special enrollment" or "late enrollment" event. The latter applies to health coverage only.  You must provide a copy of your marriage certificate as well as your spouse's (and stepchild(ren)'s) social security number and sign the appropriate document(s) prior to the coverage going into effect.

IV. I am expecting a baby soon. Can I add my baby to my coverage?

You have 60 days from the date of birth or adoption placement (under age 26) to add a child to your medical and/or dental coverage.  After 60 days, you can add the child during the annual open enrollment period or through a "special enrollment" or "late enrollment" event. The latter applies to health coverage only.

V. My dependent child just turned 18. Is he/she still covered?

Dependent children may be covered to age 26 as long as they are unmarried, have never been married, and are economically dependent upon the employee.  If disabled, special rules apply. Please contact the Office of Human Resources for information

VI. Can my grandchild or niece/nephew be covered under my Health Plan?

If the child is under age 26, unmarried, living in a parent-child relationship and is economically dependent upon the employee he/she may be covered under the employee's health plan. 

A "parent-child" relationship is defined as one in which the employee has been given the authority and assumed responsibility for raising the child as their own. The natural parent cannot be living in the same household as the child.  If disabled, special rules apply.  The dependent must be enrolled within 60 days from the date of custody or during the annual open enrollment period.

After 60 days, "special enrollment" or "late enrollment" criteria may apply.  You must contact Human Resources, provide proof of custody and sign the required documents, including an "Affidavit of Eligibility."

VII. Can my dependent parents be covered?

No. Even if totally dependent on the employee, parents are not eligible for coverage.

VIII. I am resigning or my appointment expires at the end of the month. How long will my coverage be in effect?

Coverage is effective through the end of the following month in which you resign or the appointment ends.  If you work a few days into a pay period, the State Controller's Office will deduct any required premiums as long as there is enough net pay to cover that premium.

IX. Can I continue my Health Benefits if I resign or when my appointment expires?

Yes. COBRA Continuation Coverage provides you the option of continuing your medical, dental and/or vision plans for up to 18 months (or longer in some cases).  You would be responsible for paying the entire premium amount to the carriers, plus a 2% administrative fee.  The provisions of COBRA also apply to dependents that lose coverage.  Please contact Office Of Human Resources for further information.

X. How do I apply for COBRA?

If you would like to continue your group benefits, you may do so by completing the COBRA election form. This form is automatically mailed to employees upon their separation from the University.

XI. At what age are my children deleted from my Health Benefits?

Dependent children are covered until the first day of the month following their 26th birthday. Example: Their birthday is September 3rd - their benefits will end on September 30th.

XII. Can I continue to pay for insurance for their Health Care coverage?

Yes, you may apply for COBRA for your dependent child. You may continue their insurance for a maximum of thirty-six (36) months.

XIII. Can I have COBRA premiums deducted from my Pay Warrant?

No, you will make direct premium payments to the health carrier.

XIV. Do I have to wait until I've attended New Employee Orientation before I can sign up for Health Benefits?

No, you may enroll in benefits prior to attending the New Employee Orientation.  Please complete your enrollment forms within 60 days of your hire date.