The A.S. Children’s Center is a high-quality early childhood program that provides a safe and nurturing environment while promoting the physical, social, emotional and intellectual development of young children. We are accredited by the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC), which administers a national, voluntary, professionally sponsored accreditation system for all types of preschools and child care centers.
The Children’s Center has voluntarily undergone a comprehensive process of internal self-study and external professional review to verify compliance with the NAEYC criteria for high-quality early childhood programs. In our program, you will see:
- Frequent, positive and warm interactions among adults and children
- Planned learning activities appropriate for children’s age groups and development, such as block building, painting, story time, dress-up and active outdoor play
- Teachers whose education and experience allow them to provide rich learning experiences for every child
- Enough adults to respond to each individual child
- Varied age-appropriate materials
- A healthy and safe environment for children
- Nutritious meals and snacks
- Regular communication with parents, who are welcome visitors at all times
- Effective administration
- Ongoing systematic evaluation
We invite you to schedule a tour today to come and visit us. We would love to share our program with you!
History and philosophy
The availability of affordable quality child care has been cited as one of the most critical barriers to the academic success of students with young children. A.S. Children's Center first opened its doors in 1973, and by 1976 it was accepted as a State Child Development Center. In 2001, a new building was completed, and the Children’s Center was expanded to its present size with a licensed capacity of 140 children. The center's first priority has always been to provide a safe humanistic environment that is conducive to the growth of both children and adults.
As a student parent exploring child care options, we are certain you have numerous questions and concerns. Visit the FAQs and Forms section to view answers for the eight most frequently asked questions posed by student parents deciding whether the A.S. Children’s Center best suits their needs.