Welcome to our Website! Since 1973, The A.S. CSUN Children's Center has been serving children and families from CSUN and the surrounding community right here on the CSUN campus. We would like to encourage you to explore this website to see what we offer. You will find in-depth information about our developmentally appropriate child development services, our staff, parent resources and more. Have fun!
The AS Children’s Center is a high-quality early childhood education program that provides a safe and nurturing environment while promoting the physical, social, emotional and intellectual development of young children.
- The CSUN Associated Students Children’s Center provides high quality, age and developmentally appropriate and inclusive school readiness services for children between the ages of 18 months and 5 years [toddler, preschool, pre-kindergarten].
- The health, safe and nurturing environment promotes children’s cognitive, physical, social and emotional development through pre-math, science, art, fine and gross motor, language and literacy activities.
- The classroom environment is divided in to dramatic play, art, writing, library, music, block building, math manipulatives, discovery/science, and sensory areas.
- We employ qualified and experienced teachers who hold current Teaching Permits issued by the CA Department of Education Credentialing Division
- The program follows the CA Department of Education’s age appropriate teacher child ratio. Toddler ratio is 1:4 and Preschool ratio is 1:8
- We provide nutritious meals at no cost to families through participation in the CA Child and Adult Care Food Program.
- We conduct child developmental assessment using a research based and scientifically tested assessment tool.
- The program conducts parent/teacher conferences and implements an open door policy.
- The Children’s Center is accredited by the National Association for the Education of Young Children.
- The program conducts regular program self-evaluations required by various funding sources.
- Once we resume face-to-face call the center to schedule a tour.
History and Philosophy
"The availability of affordable quality child care has been cited as one of the most critical barriers to the academic success of students with young children. AS Children’s Center first opened its doors in 1973, and by 1976 it became a State funded Child Development Center. In 2001, a new building was completed, and the Children’s Center was expanded to its present size with a licensed capacity of 136 children. The center’s first priority has always been to provide affordable child development services for student families to enable them to reach their academic and professional goals, while their children receive high quality child development services.