CSUN Wordmark
Change Major / Minor Online

The following page is a two column layout with a header that contains a quicklinks jump menu and the search CSUN function. Page sections are identified with headers. The footer contains update, contact and emergency information.

Change Major / Minor Online

This is a tutorial only. No log in is required.


You can request a change of major and/or minor online through myNorthridge and the SOLAR Student Center. You can add, change or drop a major/minor as long as your request complies with university policy.

Changing your major/minor online involves 4 steps:

  1. Before you begin, find out which College your major/minor is part of. You’ll need it later in this process.
  2. You request the change online in the SOLAR Student Center.
  3. An appropriate academic advisor or administrator reviews the request.
  4. You are notified of the decision by email. You can also check the status of your request online.

Use the Major/Minor Change paper forms if you have already completed 90 units, if your major does not allow online changes (rare), or if you are enrolled in a major through the Tseng College (extension).


Step 1

Log into myNorthridge at www.csun.edu with your
CSUN User ID and Password.

mynorthridge portal log in.

Step 2

Your myNorthridge Home page displays.

  1. Click the SOLAR Student Center icon in the Quick Links box.
Portal home page.

Step 3

The SOLAR Student Center displays.

  1. In the “Academics” section, select Change Major/Minor from the drop-down menu.
  2. Then click the Go button.
SOLAR Student Center.

Step 4

The Change of Major/Minor page displays and explains that:

  • You can add, change or delete your major(s) and/or minor(s)
  • Your request will require an approval process
  • You will receive an email with the results of your request
  • You can also check the “Change of Major/Minor Status” page

To find which College your major/minor is part of, select the CSUN Catalog link. You’ll need to identify the College later in this process.

To exit, select:

  • Back to Portal (upper right corner)
  • Go to Student Center (drop-down menu) and click “go” icon

To proceed, click the Next button.

Change of major/minor landing page.

Step 5

The Restrictions page displays and explains a few limitations to changing your major/minor online, including why some buttons might be greyed out.

Two boxes also display—one each for your major and minor (if any). 

Because the student in this example has only one major, the Delete button is greyed out.

This student can either Add a second major or Change her only major. She can also add a minor.

The CSUN Catalog link on this page is the last chance to look up the College of your major. You won't be able to complete Step 6 without it.

  1. To change your major, click Change in the major box.
Restrictions page.

Step 6

A new page displays your intended action in the title: ADD, CHANGE or DELETE a major/minor.

The CHANGE Major/Minor page displays your current major information:

  • College name and code
  • Major name and code
  • Degree objective

To change your major, first look up the Requested College.  

  1. Click the magnifying glass icon.
Displays your intended action in the title (add, change, or delete).

Step 7

The Look Up Requested College pop-up window displays.

  1. Select the College of your intended major/minor.

(This student has chosen the College of Health and Human Development.)

Look up requested college.

Step 8

Your Requested College now displays.

  1. Look up your Requested Major/Minor.
  2. Click the magnifying glass icon.
Using the magnifying glass, look up your requested major/minor.

Step 9

The Look Up Major/Minor pop-up window lists all the academic program options (i.e., majors and minors) for the College you previously selected.

Click the “Description” heading to sort the program list alphabetically.

  1. Scroll through the list if needed.
  2. Select your intended major/minor program by its Academic Plan code. 

(This student has chosen Public Health Promotion.)

The Look Up Major/Minor pop-up window displays all the academic program options.

Step 10

Your Requested Major/Minor and new degree objective (B.S.) now display.

Proofread your selection.

  • To go back and change your selection, click Cancel.
  • If satisfied with your selection, click Next.
Your Requested Major/Minor and new degree objective (B.S.) now display.

Step 11

The CONFIRM Change Major/Minor page displays.

Make sure you’ve selected the intended College and major/minor.

  • To go back, click Cancel.
  • To proceed with your request, click Submit.
The confirm change Major/Minor page displays.

Step 12

The “approval required” pop-up message displays to remind you that:

  • Your request will be reviewed by the College advisor or administrator
  • A decision notice will be sent to your CSUN email account
  • You can also “Check Major/Minor Status” in the SOLAR Student Center

You can still cancel your request by clicking the Cancel button in the message window.

To proceed, click OK.

Approval pop-up message.

Step 13

The Change of Major/Minor Request Completed page confirms that your request has been submitted for review.

A confirmation of your request will be sent to your CSUN email account.

  1. Click the View Change of Major Status link.
Page confirms that your request has been submitted for review.

Step 14

The Change of Major/Minor Status page displays the record of your request(s) including:

  • Transaction details (date/time stamps, action, College, type, major/minor code and description, degree)
  • Status of request (applied, approved, or denied)
  • Option to Cancel your request

If you change your mind, return to this page to cancel your Change of Major/Minor. The Cancel button will display until an advisor or administrator replies to your request. 

From the “go to” drop-down menu, select Student Center and click the Go button.

View change request status.

Step 15

The SOLAR Student Center displays. 

If you log out, you can return later to view the status of your request.

  1. In the “Academics” section from the “other academic” drop-down menu, select Check Major/Minor Status.
  2. Then click the “go” button.
The SOLAR Student Center displays. 

Step 16

The Change of Major/Minor Status page displays the decision, either approved or denied.

A notice of the decision will also be sent to your CSUN email account.

  • To return to myNorthridge, click Back to Portal (upper right).
  • When done, click LOGOUT.
Denied or approved page displays.

Step 17

Check your CSUN email account for a message stating whether or not your Change of Major/Minor request has been approved.

For degree planning and answers to questions about your new major/minor, please contact your academic advisor.

Degree Planning Tools:

CSUN email message stating the result of the change request.