Each year we award 15 scholarships at $2,000 each recipient, in three categories.
To encourage and support first-generation families in their pursuit of higher education, eight (8) $2,000 First Generation Scholarships are awarded each year.
- First in your immediate family to attend a 4-year college or university
- Strong consideration of financial need. (Must file a FASFA)
- Immediate family is defined as parents and siblings
In the spirit of tradition and loyalty, five (5) $2,000 Legacy Scholarships are awarded each year to the children or grandchildren of CSUN alumni. One of these scholarships is named in honor of Dorothea “Granny” Heitz and two of these scholarships are awarded in honor of Dean Edmund Peckham.
- The child or grandchild of a CSUN/SFVSC alumni
- International students are not eligible for this scholarship
- Parent must become an active, dues-paying member of the Alumni Association when a scholarship is awarded
- The parent must have a confirmed degree or credential from CSUN/SFVSC
- Grandparents who have attended CSUN may also qualify the student as a legacy even if the “parent” did not attend.
- The “parent” is defined as birth parent, step-parent or legal guardian.
The goal of the Graduate Student Scholarship is to recognize and assist alumni who are loyal to the university and choose to continue their education at CSUN beyond the undergraduate level. One $2,000 scholarship is awarded.
- Must have received an undergraduate, graduated degree or teaching credential from CSUN.
General Scholarship Application Criteria
- A completed online application (one letter of recommendation, a personal essay and transcripts).
- CSUN GPA of at least 3.0.
- Enrolled in 12 units as an undergraduate or 6 units as a graduate student.
- Involvement and leadership in community and/or extra-curricular activities.
A completed application packet includes the following:
- Application submitted on time via CSUN Office of Financial Aid & Scholarship
- One letter of recommendation
- A personal statement
- An unofficial copy of your high school or college transcripts if you are not currently a CSUN student
- A copy of a Degree Progress Report (DARS) if you are a current CSUN student
- All documents listed above must be completed or uploaded via the Scholarship System
Scholarship applications open Mid-February. If you would like us to email you when applications open, click here.