The University Library welcomes Legacy Members of the CSUN Alumni Association. Access to the Library, including a limited number of services, is complimentary for all CSUN alumni.
Legacy Members of the CSUN Alumni Association also receive a complimentary CSUN library card, which enables them to check out books, as described below. To obtain your library card, present your CSUN Alumni Association Legacy membership card to the University Library staff at the Guest Services desk. This service is free for Legacy Members. Costs associated with issuing a Library card are paid by the Alumni Association. Library cards must be renewed annually.
Special Library Benefits for Legacy Members of the Alumni Association:
- Legacy Members of the Alumni Association who present their current Legacy Alumni Association membership card at the Guest Services desk on the main floor of the University Library may obtain a free CSUN Library card to check out books.
- Current Legacy members may borrow up to 10 circulating print books for 14 days, which may be renewed once, unless otherwise restricted.
- Current Legacy Alumni Association members may borrow books from other CSU libraries in-person with the CSUN library card and current Legacy Alumni Membership card; check with the other CSU Library for any restrictions.
Note: Access to University Library subscription databases and electronic resources (e-books and e-journals) is only available from Library Visitor workstations; remote access is only available to current CSUN students, faculty, and staff, as per publishers’ contracts.
All CSUN Alumni have ACCESS to the following University Library services:
- Free online access to the Library’s OneSearch catalog and discovery system to identify needed resources is available from any computer with access to the Internet, which one can do in preparation for a visit to the University Library to access full text resources.
- Many full-text information resources are freely available via OneSearch from open access sources, including United States and California government publications; however, access to the Library’s subscription-based full-text electronic resources is only available in-person from the Library's visitor workstations.
- On-site access to the Library’s book collections.
- Free self-service scanning.
- Remote access to Library Digital Collections and CSUN’s ScholarWorks Open Access Repository.
- Teacher Curriculum Center and Juvenile Books (2nd floor, East Wing, University Library).
- On-site access to DVDs, CDs, and streaming media from listening/viewing workstations located in TCC/Music & Media, (2nd floor, East Wing, University Library).
- Reference librarian help via Ask a Librarian services.*
- Access to the Internet, Library e-resources, and Microsoft Office from Visitor workstations located in the Learning Commons, Main Floor, up to 2 hours per day on a first-come, first-served basis. Inquire at the Library Technology Services desk in the Learning Commons. Read more about Computer Access for Visitors. Note: visitor printing is not available in the Library; documents may be saved to a USB drive or emailed to oneself and printed elsewhere.
- Free Library events and exhibits.
*Some restrictions may apply. During periods of high use CSU students, faculty, and staff, and users needing access to U.S. and California Government Depository materials have priority.
Alumni DO NOT HAVE ACCESS to the following University Library services:
- Book checkouts, except for Alumni Association Legacy members. The Friends of the Library membership does offer book checkout privileges at CSUN’s Library only.
- Remote access to the Library’s subscription-based electronic resources and databases (most e-books and e-journals).
- Printing and photocopying (emailing and saving to personal USB drive only).
- Group and individual study rooms.
- Interlibrary Loan.
- Creative Media Studio, laptop and equipment checkouts, and use of non-visitor workstations.
All visitors are expected to follow the Library’s Policies.
Further information about the University Library's hours, services, and resources can be found on the Library's web page.