Veteran's Affairs

  • CSUN Office of Veterans Affairs

Dependent Continuing Student

The CSUN, Veterans Affairs Office works with the Veterans Administration to assist military dependents eligible to participate in the VA Educational Benefits Program.  Below you'll find State of California and federal educational benefits information for veteran's survivors and dependent students who are continuing at CSUN.

College Tuition Fee Waiver for Veterans' Dependents

California veterans and their survivors/dependents should contact the County Department of Veterans Affairs closest to their location for information regarding application procedures or other related services. Basic eligibility is attained if the veteran died from a service-connected disability or has a service-connected disability rated by the Veterans Administration at zero (0) percent or higher. Other specific criteria must be met prior to being deemed eligible, such as the student being a California resident. You may also contact the CSUN Veterans Affairs Office for information and guidance pertaining to California Veterans Fee Waiver benefits.

Students whose parents are rated less than 100 percent by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, or who are also receiving Chapter 35 educational benefits, must turn in their previous year's tax return or a letter from the Internal Revenue Service stating they were not required to file federal income taxes.

Requirements for GI Bill® Certification

To be certified for GI Bill® benefits, all veteran's survivors and dependents who are continuing at CSUN must provide the following documents to the Veterans Affairs Office, Bayramian Hall, Room 150, or online.

  1. Certificate of Eligibility - As a continuing veteran survivor/dependent student, you only need to provide CSUN with a new Certificate of Eligibility if you are using VA educational benefits for the first time or you are changing the benefit category. Either way, apply online for education benefits as an eligible dependent (equal to VA Form 22-5490). As soon as you receive your “Certificate of Eligibility” from the VA, file a copy with the School Certifying Official in the CSUN Veterans Affairs Office or upload it online through the "For Veterans" box in myNorthridge Portal.
  2. CSUN Request for Veterans Benefits - File your request online through the "For Veterans" box in myNorthridge Portal after registering for classes EVERY TERM—winter, spring, summer and fall. (If you prefer to use the paper form, please contact us.)

To avoid delays in receiving benefits, follow up on these additional requirements:

  1. Second Bachelor's Students - Provide us with a copy of the "Academic Plan" you developed with your major department advisor. For assistance, contact your advisor.
  2. All Students - Report any changes in your class schedule or academic plan to the School Certifying Official in the CSUN Veterans Affairs Office immediately. YOU MUST NOTIFY US OF ANY CHANGES TO YOUR CLASS SCHEDULE OR ACADEMIC PLAN TO AVOID DELAY IN BENEFITS.

Other Forms You May Need

VA Form 22-5495 (.pdf) - Dependents' Request for Change of Program or Place of Training. Use this form to apply for a change of institution/when transferring to CSUN from another school. If possible, please upload the completed form online through the "For Veterans" box in myNorthridge Portal.

VA Chapter Definitions

All veterans are classified into different categories (chapters) that define the class of benefits available and identify eligibility requirements. Select the chapter of interest below to review benefit descriptions and requirements.

Chapter 33 - Post-9/11 GI BillĀ®

Learn more at U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs: Chapter 33- Post-9/11 GI Bill®.

Basic monthly rates for education/training time and types are published at Education and Training - Rate Tables.

To correctly determine rate of benefit, use the start date of the class.

Chapter 35 - Dependents, Widows, and Widowers

Educational Assistance Allowance for trainees under the Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 35 of Title 38 U.S.C.). Visit the page to determine which of the two main GI Bill programs is better for your situation.

Basic monthly rates for training time and types are published at Education and Training - Rate Tables.

To correctly determine rate of benefit, use the start date of the class.