Your application for the Bachelor’s Degree and Diploma initiates the graduation evaluation process, participation in Commencement, and receipt of your diploma.
When to Apply: You may apply for graduation once you have declared a major and have 90 units (including work-in-progress) or approximately one year prior to your planned graduation date. At least one semester of work must be completed in residence at CSUN before our office can complete your graduation evaluation.
- STEP 1 - Review the Graduation Checklist so you'll have an overview of the process and avoid common roadblocks that can prevent you from graduating on your planned date.
- STEP 2 - Review the Bachelor’s Degree Application and Document Deadlines to determine when you’ll need to submit your application.
- STEP 3 - Review your Degree Progress Report (DPR)/Planner and plan remaining semesters using CSUN’s e-advising Degree Planning Tools to help provide the most accurate determination of your expected graduation date. If you are still unsure of your expected graduation date, schedule an appointment with your major advisor.
- STEP 4 - Log into myNorthridge Portal and the SOLAR Student Center to locate the “Apply/View Graduation App.” (You will receive an email to your CSUN address when the link is available.) Helpful: Online Graduation Application Guide
- STEP 5 - Submit your Application for Bachelor’s Degree and Diploma online*, along with the $47 processing fee before your APPLICATION DEADLINE. A $10 late fee will be assessed if applying after the on-time application deadline. Applying late may also delay receipt of your graduation evaluation and your graduating senior status priority registration appointment time. Commencement participation could also be affected.
- STEP 6 - Once you have successfully paid for and submitted your online application, a graduation advisement hold will be placed on your account that will block registration for the semester in which you are graduating. (Summer candidates will receive the hold for the preceding Spring semester.) To remove the hold, make an appointment with your major advisor. Print and bring your Degree Progress Report to the meeting.
- STEP 7 - Degree candidates must pass the Upper Division Writing Proficiency Exam (UDWPE) before their graduate date. For the last possible date to take and pass the test for your semester or term of graduation, visit UDWPE Test & Registration Dates.
PLEASE NOTE: The UDWPE has been temporarily suspended to adhere to California Gov. Newsom’s social distancing guidelines. Please see the “UDWPE Suspended” notice on the CSUN Testing Center website.
- STEP 8 - Approximately 8 weeks after submitting the online graduation application, your graduation advisor will notify you via your CSUN email account that your graduation evaluation is ready to review.
- STEP 9 – If desired, update your Diploma Address and Diploma Name. To have your diploma sent to an address other than your address of record, enter a Diploma Address in myNorthridge Portal. For help, see Update Personal Information. To update your Diploma Name, file the completed Diploma Name Change Request (.pdf) with Undergraduate Degree Services in Bayramian Hall (BH) Room 170. If the name that appears on your University record is the same as the name you’d like on your diploma, you do not need to submit this form.
*Kinesiology majors, Liberal Studies majors, Second Bachelor’s Degree candidates, discontinued students, or students for whom online submission is impossible must complete the paper Application for Bachelor’s Degree and Diploma (.pdf) and follow the instructions on page two of the form.