Admissions and Records

Registration FAQs

ACCOUNT: How do I set up my CSUN account and get CSUN email?

You need a CSUN User ID and Password to log into myNorthridge portal to use the SOLAR Student Center, CSUN email, self-service registration and other services. To activate your CSUN account, follow the steps provided by the IT Help Center.

CSUN Gmail is an official means of university communication, so check it regularly. To forward your CSUN Gmail to another email box automatically, see

To view your CSUN email, log into myNorthridge or with your CSUN User ID and Password. You can also access CSUN Gmail from inside myNorthridge portal.

ADD / DROP / SWAP: How do I add or drop a class?

View the tutorials Add a Class and Drop or Swap a Class. To add or drop after instruction begins, see Late Add-Drop Classes.

For more tutorials, visit the How-To Guides.

ADD / DROP / SWAP: What is "swap classes" and how does it work?

Swapping classes is “trading” one class for another without giving up your seat in the original class until your enrollment in the new class is confirmed. When you drop a class and add another separately, you risk not having a seat in either class.

You can swap any two classes (if you meet the prerequisites of the new class) online during the registration periods and dates published in the Registration Calendar. Learn how at Drop or Swap Classes.

APPOINTMENT: Can I register before my registration appointment?

No. Registration/enrollment appointments are not negotiable. You cannot enroll in classes prior to your registration appointment day and time.

To view your registration appointment, log into myNorthridge, locate My Checklist (box) and look in the Registration section.

APPOINTMENT: My friend and I are both seniors, so why did she get a different registration date than I did?

Seniors who’ve filed for graduation have priority over those who have not. Registration appointments are prioritized; every student is assigned a time based on class level and other factors.

Read more: My Registration Appointment

HOLDS: How do I know if I have holds that will block my registration?

Log into myNorthridge, locate My Checklist (box), and look in the Incomplete Tasks section. Hover your mouse over the hold message to view details. Learn more with the guide View Holds.

HOLDS: What is the Measles/Rubella hold? Why is it preventing me from registering?

Students born on or after January 1, 1957 are required to provide proof of immunization for, or immunity against, measles and rubella during their first semester at CSUN. Students age 18 or younger must provide proof of immunization for, or immunity to, Hepatitis B during their second semester. Generally, this information can be found on your high school transcript.

Note: You must clear immunization holds before you can register in future semesters.

To meet the requirements, bring written proof of immunization from a doctor, clinic or school transcript to the Klotz Student Health Center. If written proof is not available, you can receive the immunization(s) at the Health Center. If you cannot take the vaccination for religious, personal or medical reasons, you must sign a waiver. Contact the Health Center at (818) 677-3666.

For more information, see Immunization Requirements.

HOLDS: I already met with my advisor but have a hold saying I need to meet with my advisor, and now I can't enroll. What do I do?

Contact your advising center to verify that the hold will be removed. You may need some follow-up advisement.

Undergraduate Student Advising Centers

Graduate Student Advising Centers

HOLDS: I have a previously disqualified hold, and now I can't enroll. Why won't it go away?

Good news—it’s not the kind of hold that will prevent you from enrolling. However, it is a reminder of disqualification.

Each time you are disqualified, the rules change for re-admission to the University. After the third disqualification, the student must wait 5 years before reapplying to CSUN and taking classes, including those offered through The Tseng College (Extended Learning).

Ask your advisor for guidance. Learn more at Academic Standing, Probation, and Disqualification.

HOLDS: I have a missing transcripts hold, but I sent them to CSUN last semester. Why won't the registration system let me enroll?

Chances are you were enrolled in some classes at the time you submitted the transcripts. If so, then you did not have grades awarded for those in-progress classes, and the transcript you submitted was preliminary.

We need your final grades; otherwise, you’ll get a missing transcript hold placed on your account, which will prevent you from enrolling. If you feel you’ve received the hold in error, call Admissions and Records at (818) 677-3700 or email

If you are sending us a final transcript from a California community college, save time with eTranscript California.

MISSING CLASS: A class I enrolled in has disappeared from my schedule. What happened?

A class missing from your schedule in myNorthridge may have been cancelled. Normally, the department will email you when a class is cancelled.

To confirm that the class has been cancelled, log into myNorthridge > Academics (tab) > Quick Links (box) > Search for Classes (icon). Look up the missing course. On the Search Results page, click the Detail icon. The Class Status field should display "Cancelled.”

You can also contact the department to confirm the class was cancelled.

PERMISSION: What is a permission number and how do I use it?

Permission numbers allow students to register in specific classes that they would not otherwise be able to enroll in. You will need a permission number to:

  • Enroll in restricted classes* at all times, even before classes begin
  • Wait list for restricted classes during the wait list period
  • Enroll in all classes in the second and third week of spring and fall classes (i.e., as soon as the wait list period ends)
  • Enroll in state-funded, year-round cohort courses during summer terms

*Restricted classes are usually limited to certain student groups such as freshmen or seniors, majors, credential candidates, and PACE. If a class is restricted, the “Notes” section of Class Search will display "Department/Instructor Consent Required" (see image below).

Enter your permission number on the “Enrollment Preferences” screen in the registration system. (For help, review the guide Add a Class and the picture below.) Please note:

  1. If the class is restricted, you will see "Department/Instructor Consent Required" in the Enrollment Information section.
  2. Check “Class Notes.” If concurrent enrollment in a corequisite class is required, obtain a permission number for each class before proceeding.
  3. Enter the number into the “Permission Nbr” box and proofread it!

 Where do I enter a permission number?

A permission number can be used for a specific class until:

PERMISSION: Where can I get a permission number?

Request permission to enroll in a class from the academic department or the professor.  

  • Before classes begin, you can usually obtain a permission number from the academic department.
  • When classes begin, you should attend the class and request a permission number from the professor (in most cases).

PERMISSION: I got a permission number to add a class, but it's not working. What do I do?

First, make sure you’ve correctly entered the permission number in the registration system. If so, then the number may not be working because:

  • You have a registration hold. To view holds, log into myNorthridge and locate the hold message in My Checklist. Resolve the hold and try the permission number again.
  • You have a time conflict. The registration system does not permit enrollment in two or more classes whose times overlap even by a minute. Learn more: Time Conflicts
  • You are attempting to enroll in more than the maximum unit load. See Maximum Unit Load.
  • You’re already enrolled in the class or you’ve already taken it in a prior term.
  • The permission number may have expired. All permissions expire at the end of the Late Registration/Schedule Adjustment period; some expire earlier. Contact the department for assistance.
  • A permission number works only with its associated class section. If the class requires concurrent enrollment in another class, obtain a separate permission number for each class before enrolling.

If you've tried all of the above solutions and none work, contact Admissions and Records.

REPEATING: When can I repeat a course?

You may repeat a course previously taken at CSUN starting approximately 4 weeks before fall or spring classes begin. For specific dates, see the Registration Calendar.

During the fall and spring semesters, a permission number is required to enroll in all classes beginning with the second week of instruction, as soon as the wait listing period has ended.

Before deciding to repeat a course, consult your academic advisor and review the Repeat Policy.

REPORTS: What reports can I run in myNorthridge Portal?

You can generate the following reports in SOLAR though myNorthridge Portal:

Enrollment Verification – View and print an Enrollment Verification for current and past terms. Log into myNorthridge > Home (tab) > Quick Links > SOLAR Student Center. From the Other Academic pull-down menu, select Enrollment Verification.

Degree Progress Report (DPR) and Planner – Use the DPR audit and planner to:

  • Monitor your progress toward your degree objective, and
  • Plan courses that will meet bachelor's degree requirements in future terms.

Learn more at Degree Progress Report and Planner Guide.

Credential, graduate and doctoral students also have the Degree Progress Report (audit) but not the "planner" component.

Unofficial Transcript - View and print your unofficial transcript. Log into myNorthridge > Academics (tab) > Chart My Academic Progress (box) > Unofficial Transcripts (link).

REQUISITES: What are course requisites?


If you haven’t met the requisites for a class, you won’t be able to enroll in it. Take a moment to understand requisites.

  • One kind of requisite is a prerequisite. For example, you can’t take FREN 200 until you’ve completed FREN 102/C or equivalent.
  • Another kind of requisite is a co-requisite, which means two or more classes must be taken concurrently (e.g., a lecture and related lab such as BIOL 101 and BIOL 101L). 
  • Requisites can also be conditions such as class level, a specific exam score, a specified passing grade, etc. For example, enrolling in CHEM 101/L requires a satisfactory score on the Chemistry Placement Test or a grade of C or higher in CHEM 100 taken at CSUN only.

For more information, see Course Requisites - Definition of Terms.


As you enroll in each class, check for requisites in the “Class Notes,” “Course Description” and “Enrollment Information” sections of Class Search, Registration Planner, and the Add Classes pages.

Tips for Adding Co-requisites

  • Class Search:  Look for requisites under the Detail link. If a class requires a co-requisite, write down the five-digit class numbers of the courses you need to take concurrently.
  • Registration Planner:  Select both co-requisite courses before sending your desired schedule to your enrollment shopping cart. Not sure if the class has a co-requisite? Just read the course descriptions included in Registration Planner.
  • Add Classes: See picture below. Learn more with the guide Add a Class.

In this picture, the Add Classes Enrollment Preferences page confirms that the BIOL 101 lecture requires concurrent enrollment in any section of the BIOL 101L lab. 

—When you’re enrolling, always confirm course requisites on the Enrollment Preferences page before proceeding.

To enroll successfully, place the co-requisite lecture and lab sections into your enrollment shopping cart before you finish enrolling.

Avoid registration errors by enrolling in required classes at the same time.

WAIT LIST: How do I wait list for classes?

It's similar to adding a class. Log into myNorthridge, select Enroll in a Class, and look up the closed class section(s) you want to wait list for. On the class Enrollment Preferences page, check the "wait list if class is full" box.