This is a tutorial only. No log in is required.
CSUN students* can now apply for the bachelor’s degree and diploma ONLINE in 5 easy steps!
- Log into myNorthridge Portal and the SOLAR Student Center.
- Select the “Apply/View Graduation App” link.
- Select the expected term of graduation.
- Verify major, minor if any, and the graduating term.
- Click “Submit” and remit the $47 processing fee online (plus $10 late fee if applying after the deadline).
*Kinesiology majors, Liberal Studies majors, second bachelor’s degree candidates, discontinued students, or students for whom electronic submission is impossible must use the paper Application for Bachelor’s Degree and Diploma (.pdf).
Eligibility: You may apply to graduate as soon as you have:
- Declared a major,
- Completed 90 units including work-in-progress, and
- Completed at least one semester of course work in residence at CSUN.
Notification: When eligible, you'll receive an email to your CSUN account that the “Apply/View Graduation App” link is available.
Timing: Choose your graduation term carefully. For an accurate target date, map out your remaining classes in DPR/Planner (guide).
Online you can choose 1 of 3 future graduating terms: fall, spring or summer—up through the term that is 1 year ahead of the current term. For example, if the current term is Fall 2017, you can choose to graduate in Spring 2018, Summer 2018 or Fall 2018.
Please note these deadlines:
- Apply before the early submission deadline to avoid the $10 late fee.
- The deadline to select a desired graduation term online is the Friday before weekday classes begin for the desired term. After that, you will not only need to pay the $10 late fee but also complete the paper graduation application. View graduation term deadlines.
Graduation Advisement Hold: Once you've successfully applied to graduate online, a graduation advisement hold will be placed on your account for your graduation term. To remove the hold:
- As soon as possible after submitting your online application, schedule a meeting with your academic advisor to review your graduation plan.
- Print and bring your Degree Progress Report to the meeting with your advisor.
Go to the CSUN home page at www.csun.edu and:
- Select the myNorthridge Portal link.
- Log in with your CSUN User ID and Password.
The myNorthridge Home page displays.
In Quick Links box, select the SOLAR Student Center icon.
The SOLAR Student Center displays.
- Under the Academics heading, select Apply/View Graduation App from the drop-down menu.
- Then click the Go button.
The first Apply for Graduation page displays.
- Confirm your major and minor if any.
- Contact your academic advisor if you need to change your major/minor.
- Select the Apply for Graduation link.
To return to the SOLAR Student Center, use the "go to ..." drop-down menu.
The Select Graduation Term page displays. Select your desired graduation term from the drop-down menu.
- Choose 1 of 3 future graduation terms: fall, spring or summer—up through the term that is 1 year ahead of the current term. Example: If Spring 2017 is the current term, you’ll be able to select a future graduating term of Summer 2017, Fall 2017 or Spring 2018.
- To avoid a $10 late fee, you must apply to graduate online before the early submission deadline for the graduating term you choose.
- The deadline to apply online for a desired graduation term is the Friday before weekday classes begin for the desired term. After that, you must use the paper application and pay the $10 late fee. View graduation term deadlines.
As soon as you select a graduation term, a note warns you about the graduation advisement hold, which will prevent registration for the graduation term you selected. Summer candidates will have a hold placed on their spring registration. To clear the hold, meet with your advisor. Print and bring your Degree Progress Report to the meeting.
If you change your mind after submitting your application, you'll need to complete the "Graduation Date Change" form and pay an $8.00 fee.
The next two pages provide two more chances to select a different term, cancel the transaction, or continue.
- To return to the first "Submit an Application for Graduation" page, click the "Select Different Program" button.
- To proceed, select Continue.
The Verify Graduation Data page displays. Review the information. Then you can:
- Go back to the first "Apply for Graduation" page with "Select Different Program."
- Change the graduating term with "Select Different Term."
- Continue with "Submit Application."
The summary page displays your selected graduation term, major/minor, and the application fee due. Payment is required to submit the online graduation application.
- Have your credit card or banking information handy. If necessary, cancel the process and return later (you'll need to start over).
- If you apply before the early submission deadline, the application fee is $47.
- If you apply after the early submission deadline, an additional $10 late fee is required, for a total application fee of $57.
- Credit card (An additional 2.75% nonrefundable service fee is charged.)
- Electronic check (no service fee)
To proceed, select Pay Now.
You are now entering the Higher One, Inc./CashNet®/SmartPay pages.
- Select desired payment method - credit card (2.75% service fee) or electronic check (no service fee).
- Select "Continue Checkout."
To pay by credit card, complete the secure web form. American Express, Discover, MasterCard, Visa and United Community Bank (UCB) are accepted. A 2.75% service fee will be added to the total to the credit card charge.
No service fee is charged to pay by electronic check.
Select Continue Checkout.
The "Acknowledge Terms and Conditions" page displays and explains the nonrefundable $1.30 credit card service fee (2.75% of the $47 application fee).
Review and accept the terms and conditions by checking the box.
- To cancel, select "Cancel My Transaction."
- To proceed, select "Continue Checkout."
Proofread the payment information you entered.
- If payment is not made, you will need to resubmit your graduation application and payment at a later time.
- To continue, select "Submit Payment."
- You will receive an email from " " confirming payment (see Step 14). Please save the receipt.
TIP: After submitting payment, read the screen messages carefully in case your payment could not be processed.
The Graduation Application Confirmation page displays your expected graduation term, application fee paid, date/time submitted and further instructions.
1. Review the instructions.
- Watch for the graduation advisement hold on your term of graduation.
- Schedule an appointment with your major advisor.
- Check your DPR/Planner regularly.
- Update your diploma address if desired.
- Update your diploma name if desired.
2. Print the page for your records. If done, log out.
Once you've submitted your online graduation application fee(s), a confirmation/receipt will be emailed to your CSUN account from " ."
Save the receipt for your records.
Immediately after submitting your online graduation application, you can return to the SOLAR Student Center home page to:
- View the Advising Mandatory hold in the far right box. Click the details link to view the reason for the hold (Graduation Candidate) and the semester it affects (your selected graduation term). If you chose summer graduation, the hold is placed on the prior spring term. Review your graduation plan with your advisor to clear the hold.
- View Graduation Status. From the "other academic" drop-down menu, select the Apply/View Graduation App link.
The Graduation Status page displays. It will change over time, allowing you to:
- Confirm your major/minor, anticipated graduation term and diploma name
- Update diploma address
- View a missing degree requirement
- Confirm the withdrawal of your graduation application (if applicable)
- Know when your graduation evaluation (special DPR) is ready to review ("application evaluated")
You can log back into myNorthridge Portal and the SOLAR Student Center anytime to review the Graduation Application Status page.
Congratulations on your upcoming graduation!