A returning CSUN international student is one who has completed non-extension course work in a previous spring or fall semester. Returning students include those in good academic standing and those wishing to return after previous disqualification in their last semester at CSUN.
- This page includes readmission information for returning international students seeking a bachelor’s degree or a master’s degree.
- Before applying, please read the Disclosure for Academic Programs Leading to Licensure or Credentialing.
No additional admissions criteria are required. However, you’ll need to meet the international admissions criteria below.
NOTE: Previously disqualified undergraduate students may only apply to return to the university in the fall semester.
As a previously disqualified student, you must demonstrate acquired skills or achievements that support a successful return to the University. Such evidence may include successful completion of courses in your degree program at another institution or through the Tseng College (extended learning) with grades that demonstrate the ability to achieve good standing in a reasonable time frame if you are readmitted to CSUN. You are strongly urged to meet with your CSUN academic advisor to discuss readmission requirements.
NEW! Please note the new process and Fall 2018 deadlines in the table below. Then review the eligibility requirements.
|Semester of Disqualification||Cal State Apply Application Required?||Application Deadline||Previously Disqualified Questionnaire Deadline|
|Prior to Fall 2017||Yes||November 30, 2017||March 1, 2018|
|End of Fall 2017||No||N/A||March 1, 2018|
To be considered for readmission, previously disqualified freshmen, transfer and second bachelor's students will need to meet the following eligibility requirements:
1. Complete the 4 basic subjects for CSU general education: Writing, Mathematics, Critical Thinking, and Speech Communication courses with a C or better. (Students re-applying as Engineering or Computer Science majors do not have to complete Critical Thinking prior to admission.)
2. Before you apply, contact the CSUN College of your major to determine their specific readmission criteria. After you apply, the College of your major and the Office of Undergraduate Studies will complete a review to determine your admissibility.
3. Determine whether or not you need to reapply at Cal State Apply:
- If disqualified prior to the fall 2017 semester: Apply online at Cal State Apply before the application filing deadline published at Admissions Calendar.
- If disqualified at the end of the fall 2017 semester: No Cal State Apply application is required.
4. Complete the Previously Disqualified Student Questionnaire (.pdf) and submit it to the Office of Admissions and Records. If possible, file the questionnaire at the time you apply on Cal State Apply (if required - see table above) but no later than the deadline on the form. To be considered for Fall 2018 readmission, file your completed questionnaire on or before March 1, 2018.
5. Submit official college transcripts of all course work taken after your last attendance at CSUN, including work-in-progress now.
Readmission of previously disqualified graduate/master’s students will be determined by their individual graduate program. Read more at:
Graduate students must also meet the international admission criteria below.
International applicants to CSUN are required to submit the following:
- Complete the “International Online Application” at Cal State Apply. Please read the instructions carefully and complete all appropriate sections.
- Remit the $55.00 non-refundable application processing fee online in Cal State Apply. The fee must be paid online to submit the application.
- Affidavit of Financial Support (.pdf) and bank statement. Both pages of the financial affidavit and the bank statement may be emailed to your International Admissions advisor.
- After you apply on Cal State Apply, send us the following transcripts:
- Your OFFICIAL transcripts for any college or university courses you have completed since you last attended CSUN.
- Preliminary transcripts for course work now in progress.
- No transcripts are required for returning students in good academic standing who have not taken courses elsewhere since their last attendance at CSUN.
- Applicants who have studied in the U.S. since their last attendance at CSUN must have the U.S. institution(s) send official transcript(s) directly to CSUN.
- If you are attending a California community college, please see the instructions for electronic transcripts at eTranscript California.
Send OFFICIAL paper transcripts directly to:
California State University, Northridge
Attention: International Admissions
18111 Nordhoff Street
Northridge, CA 91330-8207
After you have applied to CSUN, check your application status. Log into myNorthridge Portal, locate “My Checklist," and review your complete and incomplete tasks such as missing transcripts.
- Seeking First or Second Bachelor’s Degree: You will be notified by the Office of International Admissions of your admissibility to the university.
- Seeking Master’s Degree: As soon as the graduate department has notified us in the Office of International Admissions of your admissibility, we will notify you.
If you are readmitted, you'll need to take some additional steps. Read more at Admitted International Students.