International Admissions Criteria
An international master’s or post-baccalaureate graduate applicant is a student who wishes to study at our university on an F-1 (student) visa or J-1 (exchange) visa, and who is in the process of completing or has completed a post-secondary degree equivalent to a U.S. bachelor's degree. Graduate students may apply for admission to a master's or doctoral degree program at CSUN.
- Explore CSUN’s master's and doctoral degree programs.
- Before applying, please read the Disclosure for Academic Programs Leading to Licensure or Credentialing.
Two Application Processes
- Applicants to master's and doctoral programs must typically apply to both the university and the academic department. Some departments may require a separate departmental application.
- Please note that some graduate programs may have earlier filing deadlines than the university deadlines, or they may accept applications only for fall (not spring) admission.
As an applicant to a CSUN master's or doctoral program, you will also need to meet any additional requirements for admission to the specific graduate program you wish to pursue. Please review these requirements, visit the program website, and contact its graduate coordinator by locating your program in the University Catalog (programs).
International applicants to CSUN are required to submit the following:
- Complete the “International Online Application” at Cal State Apply. Please read the instructions carefully and complete all appropriate sections.
- A $55.00 (US currency) non-refundable application fee payable to The California State University (CSU) must be paid online in order to submit the application.
Please note: Starting with the Fall 2020 admission cycle, the CSU application fee will increase to $70 per campus.
- Results of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) or other graduate examinations are required by some graduate programs. Scores must be sent directly to CSUN from the testing agency. Use CSUN school code 4707.
- Affidavit of Financial Support (.pdf) and bank statement. Both pages of the financial affidavit and the bank statement may be emailed to your International Admissions advisor.
- All OFFICIAL academic records including certificates, degrees or diplomas in original language of issue. Do not fax academic records. Applicants who have studied in the U.S. are required to have the institution(s) in the U.S. send official transcript(s) directly to CSUN.
- Official English translations of all academic records including certificates, degrees or diplomas. Do not fax translations.
- Send OFFICIAL transcripts and translations directly to:
CSUN - Admissions and Records
Attention: International Admissions
18111 Nordhoff Street
Northridge, CA 91330-8207
8. Submit a copy of your passport information page with your documents.
9. Results of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or other acceptable test (see table below). Scores must be sent directly to CSUN from the testing agency.
The English language tests and minimum scores listed in the table below are accepted by CSUN for graduate applicants. Some graduate programs require a higher score for admission to an individual program; please check the desired graduate program.
|Test Name |
|Minimum Score Required for Graduate Students||Send Score Directly To CSUN|
|Cambridge C1 Advanced English (formerly CAE)|
|Email “Confirmation of Entry” page to firstname.lastname@example.org.|
|DET – Duolingo English Test|
|Online through your Duolingo Account. See Sending Your Results.|
|EIKEN CSE – Common Scale for English|
|Contact EIKEN online; they will send the score directly to us.|
|GTEC CBT – Global Test of English Communication Computer-Based Test|
|Have GTEC send a copy of your "Official Score Certificate" to CSUN.|
|IELTS Academic - International English Language Test System|
|Have IELTS send a copy of your "Test Report Form" to CSUN.|
|iTEP Academic - International Test of English Proficiency||4.0||Have iTEP send your score to CSUN.|
|PTE Academic - Pearson Test of English||58||Online through your PTE Academic Account.|
|TOEFL - Test of English as a Foreign Language|
— Internet Based score: 79
We do not accept TOEFL ITP.
|Use CSUN School Code 4707.|
Exception: If a graduate applicant has earned a bachelor's or master's degree from a college or university in the U.S., the TOEFL or other English language proficiency exam is not required.
If a graduate applicant has earned a bachelor's or master's degree from a college or university outside the U.S. where English is the principal language of instruction, the TOEFL or other English language proficiency exam is not required. Please note:
- CSUN interprets "where English is the principal language of instruction" to mean that a school is located in a country where English is the daily medium of communication for the majority of residents, and that students receive academic instruction in English at all levels of education.
- Countries currently meeting the above requirement are: Australia, Belize, Canada, England, Ireland, New Zealand, Northern Ireland, Scotland, and Wales, plus a few nations in the Commonwealth Caribbean (Antigua and Barbuda, the Bahamas, the Cayman Islands, and Trinidad and Tobago).
If you have any questions, please contact an International Admissions Advisor.
CSUN Intensive English Program and Conditional Admission:
An Intensive English Program (IEP) is offered through CSUN’s Tseng College of Extended Learning. The International Admissions Office works closely with the IEP office to offer "conditional admission" to academically eligible students enrolled in the IEP. Admission to the university is guaranteed once the student has completed the English language requirement (TOEFL or other acceptable test). Read more at Intensive English and University Pathways.
After you have applied to CSUN, make sure the rest of your application process go smoothly.
- Set up your access to myNorthridge Portal and CSUN email. Watch for the “Activate Your CSUN Account” email from CSUN Admissions and Records sent to the address you provided in Cal State Apply. You should receive the email 1 or 2 days after you apply. For help, see account activation instructions.
- Check your application status. Log into myNorthridge Portal, locate “My Checklist," and review your complete and incomplete tasks such as missing transcripts. Helpful: How To Guides
- Check your CSUN email and myNorthridge Portal often for official communications. The university will stop sending email to your personal address. Helpful: Forwarding CSUN Gmail to Another Account
Your academic records will be evaluated and forwarded to the graduate department for an admission decision. Reminder: Please be sure to check with your graduate department for additional requirements.
As soon as the graduate department has notified the Office of International Admissions of your admissibility to the university, we will notify you. If you are admitted, you'll need to take a few more steps. Read more at Admitted International Students.
If the Office of International Admissions informs you that you are not admissible, and that you have been denied admission to the university, you may appeal this decision by contacting the graduate program to which you applied.