International Admissions

  • Picture of Various Landmarks

    International Admission at Cal State Northridge

  • Picture of Various CSUN locations

    Invites you to the CSUN campus

Apply First-Time Freshman

Important Note

Our Spring 2020 application at opens August 1, 2019.
Starting with Fall 2020, the application fee will increase from $55 per campus to $70 per campus.
If you need help with the online application, please email us at

An international first-time freshman applicant is a student who wishes to study at our university on an F-1 (student) visa or J-1 (exchange) visa, who is applying to one of our bachelor's degree programs, and who has not completed any post-secondary course work at a college or university.

Quick Navigation - International First-Time Freshman

Admission Requirements

You will be considered for admission to CSUN if you meet the following requirements:

  1. You have earned a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 on a 4.0 grading scale, or an average of "B" grades on an "A - F" letter grading scale. (CSUN will convert your international GPA when you apply for admission.)
  2. You have met the English language requirement.

Items to Submit

International applicants to CSUN are required to submit the following:

  1. Complete the “International Online Application” at Cal State Apply. Please read the instructions carefully and complete all appropriate sections.
  2. A $55.00 (US currency) non-refundable application fee payable to The California State University (CSU) must be paid online in order to submit the application.
    Important information Please note: Starting with the Fall 2020 admission cycle, the CSU application fee will increase to $70.
  3. Affidavit of Financial Support (.pdf) and bank statement. Both pages of the financial affidavit and the bank statement may be emailed to your International Admissions advisor.
  4. All OFFICIAL secondary-school records including certificates, examination grades, degrees or diplomas in original language of issue. Your records must include official verification of high school completion. Do not fax academic records.
  5. Official English translations of all academic records including certificates, degrees or diplomas. Do not fax translations.
  6. Applicants who have studied in the U.S. are also required to have the U.S. institution(s) send official transcript(s) directly to CSUN.
  7. Send all OFFICIAL transcripts and translations directly to:

CSUN - Admissions and Records
Attention: International Admissions 
18111 Nordhoff Street
Northridge, CA 91330-8207

  1. Submit a copy of your passport information page with your documents.
  2. Results of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or other acceptable test (see table below). Scores must be sent directly to CSUN from the testing agency.

English Language Requirement

The English language tests and minimum scores listed in the table below are accepted by CSUN for undergraduate applicants.

Test Name
and Website
Minimum Score Required for Undergraduate StudentsSend Score Directly To CSUN

Cambridge C1 Advanced English (formerly CAE)


Email “Confirmation of Entry” page to
DET – Duolingo English Test


Online through your Duolingo Account. See Sending Your Results.
EIKEN CSE – Common Scale for English

2304 (Pre-1)

Contact EIKEN online; they will send the score directly to us.
GTEC CBT – Global Test of English Communication Computer-Based Test


Have GTEC send a copy of your "Official Score Certificate" to CSUN.
IELTS Academic - International English Language Test System


Have IELTS send a copy of your "Test Report Form" to CSUN.
iTEP Academic - International Test of English Proficiency3.8

Have iTEP send your score to CSUN.

PTE Academic - Pearson Test of English50

Online through your PTE Academic Account.
TOEFL - Test of English as a Foreign Language

— Internet Based score: 61
— Paper-based score: 500

We do not accept TOEFL ITP.

Use CSUN School Code 4707.

Exception:  If a freshman applicant has attended a high school in the U.S. for three or more years, or has attended a high school where English is the principal language of instruction for three or more years, the TOEFL or other English language proficiency exam is not required. Please note:

  • CSUN interprets "where English is the principal language of instruction" to mean that a school is located in a country where English is the daily medium of communication for the majority of residents, and that students receive academic instruction in English at all levels of education.
  • Countries currently meeting the above requirement are: Australia, Belize, Canada, England, Ireland, New Zealand, Northern Ireland, Scotland, and Wales, plus a few nations in the Commonwealth Caribbean (Antigua and Barbuda, the Bahamas, the Cayman Islands, and Trinidad and Tobago).

If you have any questions, please contact an International Admissions Advisor.

CSUN Intensive English Program and Conditional Admission:

An Intensive English Program (IEP) is offered through CSUN’s Tseng College of Extended Learning. The International Admissions Office works closely with the IEP office to offer "conditional admission" to academically eligible students enrolled in the IEP. We guarantee admission to the university once these students have completed the English language requirement (TOEFL or other acceptable test). Read more at Intensive English and University Pathways.

After You Apply

After you have applied to CSUN, make sure the rest of your admission process goes smoothly.

  1. Set up your access to myNorthridge Portal and CSUN email. Watch for the “Activate Your CSUN Account” email from CSUN Admissions and Records sent to the address you provided in Cal State Apply. You should receive the email 1 or 2 days after you apply. For help, see account activation instructions.
  2. Check your application status. Log into myNorthridge Portal, locate “My Checklist," and review your complete and incomplete tasks such as missing transcripts. For help with the portal, see the How To Guides.
  3. Check often for CSUN correspondence sent to your CSUN email address, by regular mail, and in myNorthridge Portal ("My Announcements").

You will be notified by the Office of International Admissions of your admissibility to the university. If you are admitted, you'll need to take a few more steps. See Admitted International Students.

If the Office of International Admissions informs you that you are not admissible, and that you have been denied admission to the university, you may appeal this decision. For details and instructions to submit an appeal, please see Admission Appeals.