International Admissions

  • Picture of Various Landmarks

    International Admission at Cal State Northridge

  • Picture of Various CSUN locations

    Invites you to the CSUN campus


Important Note

Our Spring 2021 application at opens August 1, 2020.

Starting with Fall 2020, the application fee will increase from $55 per campus to $70 per campus.

If you need help with the online application, please email us at

How to Apply

  1. Check the international application and document deadlines on this page for the semester you want to apply to.
  2. Select your student group from the list below to read the admission criteria for your class level.
  3. After reviewing the deadlines and criteria for your class level, click the "Apply Now" button.

International Application and Document Deadlines

Application and document deadlines for international applicants are shown in the table below. Please note the special instructions for some student groups under "Important Deadline Notes" immediately following the table.

SemesterApplication DeadlineDocument Deadline
For Spring 2021 Admission:
The application filing period opens August 1, 2020.
October 31, 2020*November 15, 2020*
For Fall 2020 Admission:
The application filing period opens October 1, 2019.
May 31, 2020*June 15, 2020*

Important Deadline Notes

* Graduate/master's applications are generally due by the University deadline above. However, individual graduate programs may have earlier closing dates, and the University online application will close on the department's selected date. When graduate programs close earlier than the University application deadline, the student's supporting documents are due by the department deadline. For individual program application and document deadlines, contact the graduate coordinator of the program of interest from the Graduate Programs List.

Select your class level below for the next required steps.

First-Time Freshman

An international first-time freshman is a student applying to a bachelor's degree program who has not completed any post-secondary course work at a college or university.

Read the international first-time freshman admissions criteria.

Transfer Student

An international transfer student has completed post-secondary course work at an accredited community college or university in the United States or at a college or university located outside of the United States.

Read the international transfer student admissions criteria.

Master's Student

An international master’s (or post-baccalaureate graduate) student has completed a post-secondary degree equal to a U.S. bachelor's degree. Eligible graduate students may apply for admission to a master's or doctoral degree program at CSUN.

Read the international master’s (or post-baccalaureate graduate) student admissions criteria.

Second Bachelor's Student

Important Note:

Due to increased enrollment demands, Cal State Northridge does not accept applications for second bachelor’s degree programs from international applicants. No exceptions are anticipated at this time.

However, if future exceptions are made, international applicants will need to meet the eligibility requirements listed at second bachelor’s student. For updates, please email us at

All students are urged to determine whether a graduate program better meets their needs.
Helpful: University Catalog - Graduate Studies and Programs

Returning Student

A returning international student is one who has completed non-extension coursework at CSUN in a previous spring or fall semester. Returning students include those in good academic standing and those wishing to return after previous disqualification in their last semester at CSUN.

Please find readmission information for returning undergraduate and graduate students.

Read the returning international student admissions criteria.

Domestic Student with International Transcripts

A domestic student with international transcripts does not require a student visa (F-1 or J-1) to study in the U.S. but has completed some high school, college or university course work at an accredited educational institution outside the United States, its territories or protectorates.

If you are a domestic student with international secondary and/or post-secondary course work, you should:

  1. Review the CSUN admissions criteria for your class level at domestic applicants;
  2. Send all requested official transcripts to:

CSUN – Admissions and Records
Attention: International Admissions
18111 Nordhoff Street
Northridge, CA 91330-8207

Your official transcripts will enable us to determine whether or not you’ll need to demonstrate English language proficiency by taking the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or similar assessment.

Read the domestic student with international transcripts admissions criteria.