Cal State Northridge Welcomes You to Early Start
The California State University (CSU) system recently enacted a policy known as "Early Start," requiring incoming first-time freshmen who do not demonstrate readiness for college-level math and/or writing to begin remediation during the summer before enrolling in the CSU. The goals of Early Start are to better prepare students in math and writing before their first semester and thereby improve their chances of completing a college degree.
Unless exempt, you must attend the CSU Early Start Program in summer 2015 in order to enroll in fall 2015 classes at your destination campus (i.e., the campus you will attend in the fall term). Learn more about the CSU system-wide program and find a course list at CSU Success.
Your test scores on the English Placement Test (EPT) and/or the Entry Level Mathematics Test (ELM) will determine whether or not you need to participate in the CSU Early Start Program:
- Writing: You must participate in Early Start if your EPT score is less than 147.
- Math: You must participate in Early Start if your ELM score is less than 50.
Students needing remediation will be required to address writing or math or both subject areas by enrolling in the Early Start Program (see exemptions below).
New! Only students who are “fully exempt” from EPT and/or ELM are exempt from the Early Start Program. Students who are “conditionally exempt” from EPT/ELM based on scores on the EAP, SAT or ACT are still required to participate in the Early Start Program.
If you have been admitted to Cal State Northridge (CSUN), you can view your EPT/ELM test scores by logging into myNorthridge Portal and viewing My Checklist. Check your CSUN email regularly for important messages.
- Early Start on CSUN YouTube - Video: CSUN students tell how they've moved up by taking Early Start Math.
To find out if you need to take CSU Early Start, log into the CSU Smart Page as explained at How to Enroll in Early Start. The CSU Smart Page for CSUN will be available from April 7 through July 6, 2015.
The following students will not be required to participate in the CSUN Early Start Program:
- Students who are deemed ready for college-level English and/or math courses based on any one or more of their test scores listed below:
—Advanced Placement (AP) English and/or math scores
—Early Assessment Program (EAP) scores
—EPT and/or ELM test scores*
—SAT or ACT scores
- International students
- Residents of other states
- Students participating in the CSUN EOP Summer Bridge program
- Students who qualify for admission through the CSUN EOP Program
- Students enrolled in CSUN's MARC/MBRS Math and Language Arts Summer Enrichment Program
- Students enrolled in CSUN's Student Athlete Summer Success Program
- Students admitted to CSUN after June 29, 2015
*Learn more at EPT and ELM FAQs.
Services for Students with Disabilities: Students who believe they should be exempted from the Early Start requirement on the basis of a disability need to contact Cal State Northridge Disabilities Resources and Educational Services (DRES) or the National Center on Deafness (NCOD).
Early Start courses offered at any of the CSU campuses will have the same fee rate. The current fee estimate is $182 per semester unit and is subject to change based on approved fee increases. An additional campus fee of $2.00 ($1 each for Health Facilities and Student Union) at any CSU campus is also required. Campus parking and course instruction materials may also be charged.
Early Start fee waivers will be available for those demonstrating need. California residents who apply for financial aid by March 2, 2015 and have an Estimated Family Contribution (EFC) of $5,000 or less may be eligible for a fee waiver for any course meeting Early Start Program requirements.
|2015-2016 Federal and California Financial Aid application period begins||January 1, 2015|
|Priority consideration given to those who file FAFSA by||March 2, 2015|
|Document deadline for on-time Fall 2015 financial aid||June 1|
Find more CSUN Financial Aid Information.
If at all possible, you are strongly encouraged to complete the Early Start Program with the CSU campus you'll attend in the fall. By taking Early Start classes at your destination campus, you'll meet professors and other students, connect to the campus community, and transition more smoothly to your fall term math and writing courses.
1. CSUN’s Early Start program consists of the following courses:
- Early Start Writing (ESW): Offered online only as a 1-unit, 3-week intensive learning experience
- Early Start Math (ESM): Offered online and face-to-face. Options include either a 1-unit course lasting 3, 6 or 8 weeks; or a 3-unit course lasting 6 weeks. Students who will attend CSUN in the fall are encouraged to enroll in a face-to-face ESM option, either 1 or 3 units.
2. The earliest CSUN Early Start writing and math courses begin June 8, and the last courses end July 31, 2015.
3. Students may also participate in the Early Start program offered at any other CSU campus. This may be appropriate for non-local students. Many CSU campuses are offering online course options as well.
To search for class options at CSUN and other CSU campuses, go to CSU Early Start courses and dates.
To enroll in the CSU Early Start Program:
- Take the EPT/ELM tests no later than the May 2, 2015 test date. Because demand is heavy and seating is limited, we recommend signing up for an earlier test date. Please see:
EPT/ELM test dates AND EPT/ELM test registration
- Go to the CSU Smart Page link, located in the student Web Portal of the CSU campus to which you've been admitted. If you've been admitted to CSUN, log into myNorthridge at www.csun.edu, locate My Checklist and select the CSU Smart Page link.
- Review your CSU Smart Page to:
—Find out if you need to participate in Early Start
—Find out if you qualify for an Early Start fee waiver based on your FAFSA information
—Indicate the location where you will take Early Start math and/or writing classes. You are strongly encouraged to take Early Start classes with the CSU campus you will attend in in the fall term.
Note: CSUN students must declare their plans to fulfill the Early Start math and/or writing remediation requirements using the CSU Smart Page no later than July 6, 2015.
- Once you've completed the CSU Smart Page, you will receive Early Start course enrollment information from the CSU campus you selected. Be sure to complete the CSU Smart Page before enrolling in Early Start classes.
- If you plan to take Early Start at CSUN, you may enroll in classes starting April 8, 2015. The last day to enroll in CSUN Early Start classes is July 12.
For help, see the How To Guide Enroll in "Early Start" at Cal State Northridge.
The chart below lists important dates for the Summer 2015 CSU Early Start Program at Cal State Northridge (CSUN) and for enrollment in the Fall 2015 semester.
|Summer and Fall 2015 at CSUN|
|Earliest possible date to register in Fall 2015 classes with your advisor.*||April 7, 2015|
|Earliest possible date to log into the CSU Smart Page||April 7|
|Earliest possible date to enroll in CSUN Early Start courses||April 8|
|Last day to file Intent to Register for Fall 2015||May 1|
|Last day to take EPT/ELM tests **||May 2|
|EPT/ELM scores received by CSUN||About 3 weeks after the test date|
|First CSUN Early Start math and writing courses begin||June 8|
|Deadline to complete the CSU Smart Page||July 6|
|Last day to enroll in Early Start courses at CSUN||July 12|
|Deadline to complete CSUN Early Start courses||July 31|
|Send final official high school transcript to CSUN for receipt by||August 14|
*Make an appointment with an academic advisor in the College of your major or ARC/EOP if undecided. See Academic Advisement.
**Because of heavy demand and limited seating, you should sign up for the EPT/ELM tests much earlier than the May deadline. View earlier test dates at English Placement Test (EPT) and Entry Level Math Test (ELM).