This is a tutorial only. No login is required.
CSU Fully Online Courses is a California State University (CSU) program that allows CSU students to enroll concurrently in one fully online course per term at another CSU campus. The program, which includes hundreds of fully online courses offered at all CSUs, provides full-time students with more opportunities to enroll in classes. Credit earned in the fully-online course is automatically reported to students' home campus. Before enrolling, make sure the fully online class satisfies a CSUN degree requirement (or one at your home campus if not CSUN).
This guide explains how CSUN students can:
- Check eligibility to participate in CSU Fully Online Courses
- Request enrollment in a fully-online class at a host CSU campus through myNorthridge Portal
- Confirm enrollment in the host campus class through myNorthridge
Students at other CSUs interested in taking a fully online class at CSUN should begin by logging into their home campus student portal.
As a CSUN student, you are eligible to enroll in a CSU Fully Online course if you have:
- Completed at least one term at CSUN as a matriculated student and earned at least 12 units here;
- Earned at least a 2.0 GPA at CSUN and are in good academic standing;
- Enrolled at CSUN during the period of concurrent enrollment; and
- Paid tuition fees as a full-time student (6.1 or more units)
You should also know:
- International students on visas are not eligible to enroll in the CSU Fully Online program.
- Domestic nonresident students will need to pay an additional per-unit nonresident tuition fee for the CSU Fully Online course to the host campus.
- CSU Fully Online participants will need to pay any course material or lab fees to the host campus.
- Students may only enroll at a campus of similar term type (quarter to quarter; semester to semester).
For the all-campus course listing, enrollment dates, and eligibility details, visit CSU Fully Online Courses.
Go to the CSUN home page at www.csun.edu and:
- Select the myNorthridge Portal link.
- Log in with your CSUN User ID and Password.
Your myNorthridge Home page displays.
In the Quick Links box, select the SOLAR Student Center icon.
The SOLAR Student Center displays. Under the “Academics” heading, select the link Enroll in CSU Fully Online.
The Select Term page displays available terms.
- Select the term you want.
- Click Continue. The enrollment system will automatically check your eligibility for CSU Fully Online Courses. This may take a minute. If you are not eligible, an error message will display. If you are eligible, a class search page will display.
Click the What is CSU Fully Online? link to open a new window to the official CSU website and view:
- The CSU fully online course list: Sort, filter or search by course, title, GE category, upper/lower division, host campus (all classes—open and closed—are listed)*;
- Course description: Enrollment period (varies by campus), class start date, prerequisites, term type, host campus welcome document (download or print for key dates, online learning management system, library access, etc.);
- Transfer information—the degree requirements that the host campus course will satisfy at CSUN (elective credit, GE requirements or course equivalency if any). Consult with your academic advisor to confirm that the class will meet CSUN degree requirements.
*TIP: Choose several CSU fully online courses because only OPEN classes will display in myNorthridge Portal.
The Select Classes to Add page displays. The CSU Fully Online Class enrollment cart is empty.
To look up the fully online course you want to add, first select the host campus using the spyglass icon. Leave the other fields blank to retrieve a list of all open, fully online courses at the host campus, CSU Long Beach in this example.
The Select Classes to Add page now lists all OPEN fully-online classes offered at the host campus CSU Long Beach. (Closed classes do not display.)
Open a course row to view class and section numbers, start/end dates and other details.
To start over, select the change term button.
To proceed, select the Class Number link.
The Class Details page displays information for the course you selected:
- Course Subject and Number
- Class Section Number
- Career (Undergraduate or Graduate)
- Meeting (start/end) Dates
- Grading Option (Grade or Credit/No Credit; review the CR/NC policy)
- Host Campus
IMPORTANT! Read the Course Description box for any prerequisites. The class in this image requires previously passing the CSU Long Beach course PSY 100.
Click the Select Class button.
The Identify Course Requisites page displays the CSU Fully Online Course description and lists all of the classes you have ever enrolled in at CSUN.
- Check the box for the CSUN course(s) you’ve taken that meet the prerequisite.
- If none of your CSUN classes meet the prerequisite, fill in the text box below the course list with a class you took at another institution and transferred to CSUN, or indicate another method of eligibility. Provide details.
- Check the “Requisites Confirmed” box.
- Click Confirm.
The Final Confirmation page displays:
- the CSU Fully Online Course you selected
- a message describing your responsibilities to conduct the activities related to the online course (e.g., to access the learning management tool such as Canvas at the host campus); pay additional lab or supplemental instruction fees, and meet host-campus withdrawal deadlines if you drop the class.
This is the LAST CHANCE to cancel your request or return to the previous screen. Please do not proceed if you do not want the class because you will need to contact the host campus to drop the class and you will be subject to host-campus withdrawal policies and procedures. Refer to the campus welcome document for details.
To continue, click Submit Enrollment Request.
The View Results page displays the status of your request.
- A red “X” means an error occurred.
- A green check mark means your request was submitted to the host campus successfully. Note: You are not enrolled in the class until the host campus processes your request.
A message states that the host campus will contact you to confirm enrollment and send instructions for you to log into their student portal, access the online class, and pay any course materials or lab fees and/or the per-unit nonresident tuition fees if necessary.
The Select Classes to Add page returns.
The CSU Fully Online Class enrollment cart lists the class you selected and indicates the status of your request:
- At first, the status will be "pending" (clock icon).
- When the host campus processes your request, the status will change to "enrolled" (green check mark).
You should check back later to confirm that you are enrolled in the course.
Later log back into myNorthridge > Student Center > Enroll in CSU Fully Online to check your enrollment status.
The Select Classes to Add page now displays a green check mark in the status column to confirm that the host campus has enrolled you in their online class.
Important! Once enrolled, watch for a letter or email from the host campus telling you how to log into their student portal and access the online class.
In about 24 hours, you will see a "placeholder" class in your CSUN schedule. From the drop-down menu, select Student Center and then click the "go" button.
The Student Center "Academics" section displays your current class schedule.
After you've been enrolled in a CSU Fully Online course by the host campus, you should see one of the following CSUN Admissions and Records (A/R) "placeholder" classes in your schedule:
- A/R 103 - for CSUN undergraduate students
- A/R 500 - for CSUN graduate students
At the end of the semester, the host campus will automatically report your grade to CSUN as a transfer credit, and the course and grade will appear in your academic record. Then the "A/R" placeholder class will be removed from your schedule.
If you have any questions about the CSU Fully Online Courses process, please contact:
CSUN Office of Admissions and Records
Cal State Northridge
18111 Nordhoff Street, Student Services Center
Northridge, CA 91330-8207
Phone: (818) 677-3700