- Applications for Fall 2018 were accepted October 1-November 30, 2017. Please review the admissions information below.
- For Spring 2019 admission information, please check back here later in July 2018.
- International transfer students should check requirements and deadlines at International Applicants.
FALL 2018 ADMISSION
All upper-division transfer students may apply for Fall 2018 admission from October 1 through November 30, 2017. Please see the requirements and procedures below, and review Impaction Information.
Are you an upper-division transfer student? An upper-division transfer applicant has completed at least 60 transferable units and met the standard CSU requirements described below. CSUN does not currently accept lower-division transfer applications.
Will you earn an Associate Degree for Transfer? Unlike regular AA or AS degrees, the Associate Degrees for Transfer (ADT) earned at a California community college come with certain guarantees for easier transfer and faster degree completion at the California State University. Read more at ADT Applicant & California Promise.
CSUN admission is impacted for undergraduate students. California resident first-time transfer applicants must not only meet the minimum standard CSU admission criteria described on this page but also any supplementary criteria if they are affected by non-local area impaction and/or their desired major is impacted. Please see Transfer Impaction Criteria.
- Explore CSUN majors in the University Catalog
- Before applying, please read Academic Programs Leading to Licensure or Credentialing.
Complete the eligibility requirements within the following time frame for admission to:
- Fall 2018: Complete all requirements by the end of the spring 2018 term. No summer 2018 course work will be considered for admission.
All upper-division transfer students need to meet the minimum criteria listed below:
- Have completed a minimum of 60 transferable semester units (90 quarter units) with a grade point average of 2.0 or better*; and
- Be in good standing at the last college or university attended in a regular session; and
- Have completed the CSU General Education Writing, Mathematics, Critical Thinking and Speech Communication courses with a C or better**; and
- Submit all official college transcripts, including preliminary (work-in-progress) and final transcript with grades posted, to Admissions and Records before the deadline. Please see Send Us Your Transcripts below.
**Students applying as Engineering or Computer Science majors do not have to complete Critical Thinking prior to admission.
1. Apply for admission at Cal State Apply during the initial filing period published at Admissions Calendar. You must apply during the initial filing period. If you have or will earn an Associate Degree for Transfer, confirm that your AA-T/AS-T major is approved for transfer to CSUN.
2. Select a major from the CSUN Catalog. Declare a major when applying; "undecided" is not available. If your desired major is impacted and you are a California applicant, you will need to meet any supplementary admission criteria for that major. Read more at impacted majors.
3. Remit the $55 nonrefundable CSU application fee online in Cal State Apply. The fee must be paid to submit the application. Cal State Apply online will also calculate your eligibility for the undergraduate admission application fee waiver (California residents only).
After you have applied to CSUN, make sure the rest of your admission process goes smoothly:
- Set up your access to myNorthridge Portal and CSUN email. Watch for the “Activate Your CSUN Account” email from CSUN Admissions and Records sent to the address you provided in Cal State Apply. You should receive the email 1 or 2 days after you apply. For help, see account activation instructions.
- Monitor your application status. Log into myNorthridge Portal, locate “My Checklist," and review your complete and incomplete tasks such as missing transcripts. Helpful: How To Guides
- Check your CSUN email and myNorthridge Portal often for official communications. The university will stop sending email to your personal address. Helpful: Forwarding CSUN Gmail to Another Account
- First send us your official preliminary (work-in-progress) transcripts and then your final official transcripts by the deadlines below.
- If you are admitted, you will need to file your “Intent to Register” electronically no later than the following dates:
- Fall 2018: Tuesday, May 1, 2018. No deposit required. See also Admitted to CSUN. If you do not confirm Intent to Register by the deadline, you will not be able to attend CSUN in the Fall 2018 semester.
Remember, we want to communicate with you!
- Check your CSUN email often for the latest information.
- Take a moment to verify your paper mailing address in myNorthridge Portal. Learn how at Update Personal Information.
Your official transcripts are needed to determine your admission eligibility. After you apply for admission, send us official transcripts for all of the following:
- All courses taken at other colleges and universities previously attended even if the course work was not completed
- All college courses in which you are currently enrolled (these are your preliminary, work-in-progress transcripts)
- Your final transcripts for work-in-progress as soon as you complete the courses and grades are posted*
*Students with a verifiable Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT) will be admitted only when CSUN receives official transcripts showing 60 transferable graded units, a minimum GPA of 2.00 or better, completion of the 4 basic subject requirements, and the AA-T or AS-T degree posted. All course work must be completed by the end of the spring 2018 semester.
All transcripts, preliminary and final, must be official:
- Electronic transcripts from California community colleges are preferred (and faster!) when we receive them through the eTranscript California system. Find instructions and the lists of participating community colleges at eTranscript California.
- Paper transcripts must be received in sealed, unopened envelopes. Ask your previous schools to send your official transcripts directly to us.
- Please do not send identical, duplicate paper and electronic transcripts!
Official transcripts showing completion of 60 units and the 4 basic subjects must be postmarked or hand delivered to Admissions and Records by the following due dates:
- Fall 2018 admission
- Preliminary transcript deadline for work in progress: February 15, 2018
- Final transcript deadline: July 13, 2018
- All course work must be completed by the end of the spring 2018 term.
Send official transcripts to:
CSUN - Office of Admissions and Records
18111 Nordhoff Street
Northridge, CA 91330-8207
|Task or Document||Fall 2018|
|Last day to apply for admission (Apply at Cal State Apply.)||11/30/2017|
|Send official college transcripts for completed work and work-in-progress (preliminary transcripts)*||02/15/2018*|
|Last day to file Intent to Register in myNorthridge**||05/01/2018|
|Complete all course work required for admission by the end of the||spring 2018 term|
|Send final college transcripts showing completion of 60 units, the 4 basic subjects, and the AA-T/AS-T degree (if applicable)||07/13/2018|
*See the note about when to request electronic transcripts if you are transferring course work from any of the California community colleges in List 2 at eTranscript California.
**If you are admitted after the following dates, you will have 14 days from your admission date to file your Intent to Register for classes:
- Fall 2018: if admitted after April 16, 2018. If you do not confirm Intent to Register by the deadline, you will not be able to attend CSUN in the Fall 2018 semester.
Admission is provisional until all eligibility requirements and deadlines have been met, including those for applicants affected by campus impaction and impacted majors. Read more.
If your application for admission was denied or your offer of provisional admission has been withdrawn, see Admission and Deadline Appeals.