Admissions and Records

  • Admissions and Records banner with word cloud.

Apply Returning to CSUN

Important Note

Please review this page carefully and apply online at Cal State Apply.


  • Returning undergraduate students - CLOSED for Spring 2018 admission.
  • Returning graduate students - Apply for admission starting August 1, 2017. Please contact the individual graduate program for the closing date and review the information on this page.


  • Returning undergraduate students - Apply for admission between October 1 and November 30, 2017.
  • Returning graduate students - Apply for admission starting October 1, 2017. Please contact the individual graduate program for the closing date.

A returning CSUN student is one who has completed non-extension course work in a previous spring or fall semester. Returning students include those in good academic standing and those wishing to return after previous disqualification in their last semester at CSUN. 

Quick Navigation - Returning to CSUN

Returning in Good Academic Standing

  1. No additional admissions criteria are required.
  2. Apply for admission before the filing deadline published in the Admissions Calendar for your class level, academic major or program, and desired semester of readmission.
  3. Send us your official transcripts for any college or university courses you have completed since you last attended CSUN, as well as preliminary transcripts for course work now in progress. (If you have not taken courses elsewhere since your last attendance at CSUN, no transcripts are required.)
  4. As soon as your work-in-progress is complete and grades are posted, send us your final official transcripts. Official transcripts can be paper or electronic.  See How to Apply on this page. 

Disqualified in Last Semester at CSUN

Skip to the section for your class level:

Previously Disqualified Freshman, Transfer and Second Bachelor's Students

As a previously disqualified student:

  • You may not reapply to an impacted major unless that was your major at the time of your disqualification.
  • You must demonstrate acquired skills or achievements that support a successful return to the University. Such evidence may include successful completion of courses in your degree program at another institution or through the Tseng College (extended learning) with grades that demonstrate the ability to achieve good standing in a reasonable time frame if you are readmitted to CSUN. You are strongly urged to meet with your CSUN academic advisor to discuss readmission requirements.

NEW!  Please note the new process and deadlines in the table below. Then review the eligibility requirements.

Semester of DisqualificationUniversity Application Required?Application DeadlinePreviously Disqualified Questionnaire Deadline
Prior to Fall 2017YesNovember 30, 2017March 1, 2018
End of Fall 2017NoN/AMarch 1, 2018

To be considered for readmission, previously disqualified freshmen, transfer and second bachelor's students will need to meet the following eligibility requirements:

1. Complete the 4 basic subjects for CSU general education: Writing, Mathematics, Critical Thinking, and Speech Communication courses with a C or better.  (Students re-applying as Engineering or Computer Science majors do not have to complete Critical Thinking prior to admission.)

2. Before you apply, contact the CSUN College of your major to determine their specific readmission criteria. After you apply, the College of your major and the Office of Undergraduate Studies will complete a review to determine your admissibility.

3. Determine whether or not you need to reapply to the university.

  • If disqualified prior to the fall 2017 semester: Apply to the university before the application filing deadline published at Admissions Calendar.
  • If disqualified at the end of the fall 2017 semester: No university application is required.

4. Complete the Previously Disqualified Student Questionnaire (.pdf) and submit it to the Office of Admissions and Records. If possible, file the questionnaire at the time you apply to the university (if required - see table above) but no later than the deadline on the form.

  • Fall 2018: To be considered for readmission, file your completed questionnaire on or before March 1, 2018.

5. Submit official college transcripts of all course work taken after your last attendance at CSUN, including work-in-progress now. Official transcripts can be paper or electronic. See How to Apply below.

Graduate and Credential Students

Readmission of previously disqualified graduate and credential students will be determined by their respective graduate or credential programs. Read more at:

How to Apply

1.  Review the application filing status (open or closed) for your class level, academic major or program, and desired semester of readmission in the Admissions Calendar.

2.  Complete the online CSU university application at Cal State Apply. Have important documents (grades, transcripts if any, test scores) handy to complete the application.

3.  Before submitting your online university application, identify any additional departmental admission requirements:

4.  Remit the $55 nonrefundable CSU application fee online in Cal State Apply. The fee must be paid to submit the application. Cal State Apply online will also calculate your eligibility for the undergraduate admission application fee waiver (California residents only). 

5.  Review Send Us Your Transcripts below.  Send your official transcripts to:

CSUN - Admissions and Records
18111 Nordhoff St.
Northridge, CA 91330-8207

Send Us Your Transcripts


Send us your official transcripts for any college or university courses you have completed since your last enrollment at CSUN, as well as preliminary transcripts for course work-in-progress now. If submitting a paper application packet, enclose official transcripts in sealed, unopened envelopes.

Transcript Tips

  • Send preliminary, work-in-progress transcripts with your paper application packet. As soon as your work-in-progress is complete and grades are posted, send us your final official transcripts.
  • Official transcripts can be paper or electronic. Electronic transcripts from California community colleges are preferred and faster! For details please see eTranscript California.  NOTE: Please do not send us identical, duplicate paper and electronic transcripts!
  • If your current college or university is your degree school, have the final official transcript sent when the degree has been posted. Your final transcript will be used to verify that all course work and the degree you indicated as work in progress have been completed.
  • If you attended CSUN before 1992 and submitted official transcripts for transfer courses at that time, you must submit new transfer course transcripts.
  • If you are a returning student in good academic standing who has not taken courses elsewhere since your last attendance at CSUN, no transcripts are required.
  • Send paper transcripts to the appropriate address listed in How to Apply above.

After You Apply

After you have applied to CSUN, make sure the rest of your admission process goes smoothly:

  1. Set up your access to myNorthridge Portal and CSUN email. Watch for the “Activate Your CSUN Account” email from CSUN Admissions and Records sent to the address you provided in Cal State Apply. You should receive the email 1 or 2 days after you apply. For help, see account activation instructions.
  1. Monitor your application status. Log into myNorthridge Portal, locate “My Checklist," and review your complete and incomplete tasks such as missing transcripts. Helpful: How To Guides
  2. Check your CSUN email and myNorthridge Portal often for official communications. The university will stop sending email to your personal address. Helpful: Forwarding CSUN Gmail to Another Account
  3. Send us your official transcripts as explained above.

 Remember, we want to communicate with you!

  • Check your CSUN email often for the latest information.
  • Take a moment to verify your paper mailing address in myNorthridge Portal. Learn how at Update Personal Information.

Admission Appeals

If your application for admission was denied or your offer of provisional admission has been withdrawn, see Admission and Deadline Appeals.