NOTE: Due to increased enrollment demands, Cal State Northridge does not currently admit lower-division transfer applicants. No exceptions are anticipated at this time. However, if future exceptions are made, lower-division transfer applicants may need to meet the eligibility requirements listed below. For exceptions and updates, please check the Admissions Calendar.
A transfer student has earned regionally accredited college credits after the summer immediately following high school graduation. A lower division transfer student has completed fewer than 60 transferable semester college units (fewer than 90 quarter units).
Lower Division Transfer Student - Eligibility Requirements
All lower division transfer students majoring in an exception need to meet all the following criteria:
- Have a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 or better in all transferable college units;
- Be in good standing at the last college or university attended;
- Have completed the CSU General Education Writing and Mathematics courses with a C or better (or be exempt from the EPT and ELM placement tests); and
- Meet the admission requirements for first-time freshmen.
How to Apply
A. Check application deadlines and program status (open, closed or exceptions) in the CSUN Admissions Calendar.
B. Select a major from the CSUN Catalog. All transfers must declare a major when applying. "Undecided" is not available.
C. If your desired major is impacted, you may need to apply to a "pre-major" or take an audition (music majors). For a list and application instructions, see Impacted Majors - Transfer Students.
D. File an application for admission online through CSU Mentor.
After You Apply
After you have applied to CSUN, make the rest of your admissions process go smoothly with these steps:
- Set up your CSUN account and email as explained in the "activate your CSUN user ID and password" letter you received from Admissions and Records. See account activation instructions.
- Monitor your application status. Log into myNorthridge Portal, locate “My Checklist," and review your Incomplete Tasks such as missing transcripts. For help with the portal, see the How To Guides.
- Check often for CSUN correspondence sent to your CSUN email box, by regular mail, and in myNorthridge (My Announcements).
- Send us your test scores and official transcripts (see below).
- Send the $55 application fee, or request a waiver if you did not already request the waiver in CSUMentor.
Send Test Scores and Transcripts
CSUN uses your official test scores and transcripts to determine your eligibility for admission. To avoid delays, please send us test scores and transcripts as soon as they become available.
Arrange for CSUN to receive your test scores for:
- SAT or ACT test(s)
- Advanced Placement (AP) exams if applicable
Send official transcripts for all of the following:
- All courses taken at other colleges and universities previously attended even if the course work was not completed
- All college courses in which you are currently enrolled (These are your preliminary, work-in-progress transcripts.)*
- Your final transcripts for work-in-progress as soon as you complete the courses and your grades are posted*
- Official high school transcripts with graduation date
All paper transcripts, preliminary and final, must be official (received in sealed, unopened envelopes). Ask your previous schools to send your official transcripts directly to us.
*Electronic transcripts: If you have attended a California community college, CSUN might be able to request your transcripts electronically. Save time and money! Find out if your community college participates in eTranscript California.
Send official paper transcripts to:
CSUN - Office of Admissions and Records
18111 Nordhoff Street
Northridge, CA 91330-8207
Official transcripts of all college courses including work-in-progress must be received by Admissions and Records no later than the following due date:
- Spring 2017: Not open for admission to lower division transfer students.
- Fall 2017: Not open for admission to lower division transfer students.
Update Your Contact Information
We want to communicate with you! So please:
- Check your CSUN email often for the latest information.
- Verify your paper mailing address in myNorthridge Portal. Learn how at Update Personal Information.
If your application for admission was denied or your offer of provisional admission has been withdrawn, see Admission and Deadline Appeals.