A first-time freshman is a student who has earned no college credit after the summer immediately following high school graduation. First-time freshman must apply for admission before the end of the initial application filing period because of freshman impaction.
The following CSUN majors are also impacted. You will need to apply for the related "pre-major" in CSUMentor:
- B.S. in Accountancy
- B.S. in Business Administration - Insurance and Financial Services option
- B.S. in Finance
Read more about these three majors at Undergraduate Programs in Business.
To be considered for admission as a first-time freshman, you must meet all the following admissions criteria:
1. Graduate from high school or have the legal equivalent of a high school diploma.
2. Complete the college preparatory subject requirements (a-g course list) with a grade of C or better:
- English: 4 years
- Mathematics: 3 years. Algebra, geometry, and intermediate algebra
- Social Science/History: 2 years, including 1 year U.S. history or U.S. history and government
- Science: 2 years. 1 biological science with lab, and 1 physical science with lab
- Foreign Language: 2 years in the same language (subject to waiver for applicants demonstrating equivalent competence)
- Visual and Performing Arts: 1 year. Art, dance, drama/theater, or music
- Electives: 1 year. Selected from English, advanced mathematics, social science/history, laboratory science, foreign language, visual and performing arts, and agriculture
3. SAT or ACT test scores must be received by Admissions and Records no later than Tuesday, February 3, 2015, for Fall 2015 admission. The last opportunity to take the tests is in early December 2014. Register one month or more before the test date.
4. Earn a qualifiable eligibility index. The CSU Statewide Eligibility Index is a weighted combination of high school grade point average during the final three years of high school and a score on either the Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) or the American College Test (ACT). All grades earned in "a-g" college preparatory courses taken in 10th through 12th grades are used to calculate the grade point average (GPA).
- Local area applicants graduating from California schools inside the defined Local Guarantee Admission Area must possess a minimum Eligibility Index of 2900 using the SAT or 694 using the ACT.
- Non-local area applicants graduating from California schools outside the defined Local Guarantee Admission Area must meet a higher Eligibility Index, which may vary based on the freshman class enrollment target.
Note: Space permitting, non-local area applicants who achieve the higher eligibility index will be admitted until the freshman class is full. Learn more at Freshman Impaction.
To calculate your eligibility index using either the SAT or ACT score:
- SAT (scores in mathematics and critical reading) + (800 x high school grade point average)
- (10 x ACT composite score without the writing score) + (200 x high school grade point average)
EPT and ELM Requirement
1. While your English Placement Test (EPT) and Entry Level Mathematics (ELM) test scores are not required for admission, you must satisfy the requirement before enrolling in classes. Even if you are admitted, you must take the EPT/ELM tests (unless you are exempt) by Saturday, May 2, 2015 for Fall 2015 enrollment.
Because of heavy demand and limited seating, you should register for the tests much earlier than the May deadline. Information about test dates, registration, exemptions and more is available at CSUN Testing Center.
Arrange for ETS to send your EPT/ELM scores to CSUN school code 4707.
2. If you miss the EPT/ELM test deadline, you will need to do either of the following:
- Reapply for admission to CSUN for the next available fall semester (first-time freshmen are not currently admitted to spring semesters)
- Attend another college or university to complete all lower division requirements, and apply to CSUN as a transfer student.
You may prepare a written appeal. However, appeals regarding missed deadlines are rarely considered.
How to Apply
Take these steps to apply for admission:
- Review application deadlines and major status (open, closed or exceptions) at Admissions Calendar. Even when the admissions cycle is closed for a semester, some majors may still be accepting students.
- File an online application through CSUMentor during the initial filing period. For Fall 2015 admission, the initial filing period ends November 30, 2014.
- Have important documents (grades, transcripts, test scores) handy when completing the online application.
- Send us your preliminary high school transcript as soon as you complete the first semester of your senior year.
- Send your final high school transcript verifying graduation date as soon as you graduate.
All transcripts must be "official" (we must receive them in sealed, unopened envelopes). Ask your previous schools to send your official transcripts directly to us.
Have official transcripts and test scores sent to:
After You Apply
After you have applied to CSUN, make sure the rest of your admissions process goes smoothly:
- Set up your CSUN account and email as explained in the "activate your CSUN user ID and password" letter you received from Admissions and Records. See account activation instructions.
- Monitor your application status. Log into myNorthridge Portal, locate “My Checklist," and review your Incomplete Tasks such as missing transcripts. For help with the portal, see the How To Guides.
- Check often for CSUN correspondence sent to your CSUN email box, by regular mail, and in myNorthridge ("My Announcements").
- Send the $55 application fee, or request an application fee waiver (.pdf).
- If you are admitted, you will need to file your “Intent to Register” electronically no later than Friday, May 1, 2015 in order to attend CSUN in Fall 2015. See Admitted to CSUN.
Application and Document Deadlines
|Task or Document||Fall 2015|
|Last day to apply online through CSUMentor||11/30/2014|
|Send preliminary high school transcript||As soon as you complete the 1st semester of your senior year|
|Send final high school transcript verifying graduation date||8/14/2015|
|Send college transcripts (if any)||As soon as grades are posted|
|Send official test scores if you have taken any Advanced Placement, International Baccaluareate, or CLEP tests||As soon as test scores are available|
|Last day for CSUN to receive SAT/ACT test scores||2/3/2015|
|Last day to file Intent to Register in myNorthridge*||5/1/2015|
|Last day to take EPT/ELM placement tests**||5/2/2015|
*If you are admitted after April 17, 2015, you will have 14 days from your admission date to file your Intent to Register.
**Because of heavy demand, you should sign up for the tests much earlier than the May deadline. For exemptions, test dates and registration information, see CSUN Testing Center.
If your application for admission was denied or your offer of provisional admission has been withdrawn, see Admission and Deadline Appeals.